love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226403 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1720 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
The latest episode of Ray Donovan, directed by the always solid Michael Uppendahl, might have turned out Liev Schreiber‘s best acting performance to date.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1721 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Line of Duty: Series 4
* * * - Okay
It's clear creator Jed Mercurio, who's written every episode of the series, didn't have as much time to come up with (what I assume will be) this new trilogy. It's still a good show, with the same feel as the previous seasons, but there are less twists and more unanswered questions. The tight plotting of Series 1-3 is replaced by viewer knowledge that questions will eventually be answered. So while Series 4 does resolve the main plot, there are a disappointing amount of unanswered questions, some of which are tied into all 4 seasons. I wish Mercurio had left Series 1-3 alone. There was no need to unwrap that bow with new possibilities.

I think my other reason for the lower rating is the focus on Thandie Newton, as the main officer under investigation. The past 3 seasons had very specific targets and actors made strong impressions by knocking their parts, big and small, out of the park. For Series 4, they lured in a bigger name but not really a better one. Newton is competent but not nearly as compelling as those who came before her.

I'm still in and will definitely be watching Series 5 when it drops, but for now I strictly (and highly) recommend Series 1-3 only.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1722 on: September 27, 2017, 07:22:32 AM »
Anyone watch Star Trek: Discovery? I thought it was alright. I look forward to Jason Isaacs coming in next week.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #1723 on: September 27, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
It took about two episodes, but The Duece is the next best thing than a return of The Wire. I love shows about intersecting lives in a community, and the early 70’s NYC setting only helps.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1724 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
It's super good. I'm not quite anticipating it every week yet, but when I do watch it I'm consistently drawn into a life I have no desire to get anywhere near. That's impressive.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #1725 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
I also like it a lot. NYC looks just great and some of the dialogue is seriously good.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1726 on: September 28, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
The Deuce is really good. Franco is phenomenal.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1727 on: September 28, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
I watched the first three episodes (my HBO subscription is lapsing before episode four) and it is...fine. I feel like if it was a Netflix show the critics would talk about how it is too long in development since that seems to be the common refrain on most Netflix series.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #1728 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
I watched the first three episodes (my HBO subscription is lapsing before episode four) and it is...fine. I feel like if it was a Netflix show the critics would talk about how it is too long in development since that seems to be the common refrain on most Netflix series.

I think the difference is that people have a certain trust in David Simon, given that, you know, this is what he does. Isn't the most common criticism against Netflix shows that they just have too many episodes and falter after a few ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1729 on: September 30, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
I watched the first episode of Big Mouth and it was really terrible.

love