love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226398 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1910 on: January 02, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
I didn't make it past the first episode either. I hadn't read into it much I just saw a Western series and though I'd give it a try. I did like the casting... I always enjoy Sam Worthington's kindly presence. But the Jeff Daniels character was immediately tiresome as a villain. And I didn't really get invested into the other elements of the story either. If I return to it it will be to see how Sam Worthington fares.

But I agree, watching Deadwood over and over would probably be time better spent. I tend to go through it once every couple of years.

jswysin

« Reply #1911 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
Top 15 Shows of 2017*

*Haven't seen Twin Peaks, do I need to finish season 2 before embarking on that journey?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1912 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
*Haven't seen Twin Peaks, do I need to finish season 2 before embarking on that journey?

Lynch and Frost do not re-explain what happened to the characters last time we met. The finale of Season 2 sets the course for The Return, but more importantly, to get the most out of the show, you need to be as intimate with the stories and characters as you can get. Even knowing everything there are enigmatic scenes and stories, so skipping episodes will only increase the confusion, possibly increasing the frustration as well.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1913 on: January 06, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
In agreement with your #1, jswysin! I haven't seen anything like it before.

I want to see The Handmaid's Tale and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (someone here recommended it to me, but I can't remember who, cause I was flitting through the forum posts and forgot to stop and say thanks, so thanks whoever you are! :) ), and I liked the one episode of The Good Place I watched.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1914 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »

Lynch and Frost do not re-explain what happened to the characters last time we met. The finale of Season 2 sets the course for The Return, but more importantly, to get the most out of the show, you need to be as intimate with the stories and characters as you can get. Even knowing everything there are enigmatic scenes and stories, so skipping episodes will only increase the confusion, possibly increasing the frustration as well.

At the very least watch the final episode of season 2. It's also important to see Fire Walk With Me.

jswysin

« Reply #1915 on: January 07, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »

At the very least watch the final episode of season 2. It's also important to see Fire Walk With Me.

I'll make it a goal in 2018 to see the rest.

In agreement with your #1, jswysin! I haven't seen anything like it before.

I want to see The Handmaid's Tale and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (someone here recommended it to me, but I can't remember who, cause I was flitting through the forum posts and forgot to stop and say thanks, so thanks whoever you are! :) ), and I liked the one episode of The Good Place I watched.

The Leftovers is amazing, it went from a show I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching to something I can't believe is over, I'm going to miss it!  I don't know who recommended The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to you before but I'm happy to do so now!  The Good Place is such an inventive network comedy, I'm not sure how long it can last but the cast is terrific (Ted Danson is having so much fun).  As for The Handmaid's Tale, it's a rough watch, especially given our present day affairs, but Elisabeth Moss is incredible and even in all the bleakness there's a semblance of hope. 

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1916 on: January 08, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
The Leftovers is amazing, it went from a show I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching to something I can't believe is over, I'm going to miss it!

Yes, this! I miss the characters too.

I don't know who recommended The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to you before but I'm happy to do so now!

Thank you :)

The Good Place is such an inventive network comedy, I'm not sure how long it can last but the cast is terrific (Ted Danson is having so much fun).

I'm almost done with Parks and Rec. and this might be a good one to follow after. Silly laughs. :)

As for The Handmaid's Tale, it's a rough watch, especially given our present day affairs, but Elisabeth Moss is incredible and even in all the bleakness there's a semblance of hope.

I read the book long ago and am curious to see how it's adapted. I'm prepared for rough, but thanks for the heads up!

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #1917 on: January 11, 2018, 05:37:08 AM »
The TV year, last year:

• The Leftovers (S01-03)
  • The Deuce (S01)
  • Top Of The Lake (S02)
  • Le Bureau des Légendes (French, S01-03)
  • Vår tid är nu (Swedish, S01)
  • Bron (Swedish, S01-03)
  • The Handmaid's Tale (S01)
  • Homeland (S06)
  • Gomorra (Italian, S01)
  • House Of Cards (S05)
  • The Same Sky (German, S01)
I also started rewatching Twin Peaks S01-02 as an update before The Return but got pretty underwhelmed along the journey or else the novelty simply was gone.

Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1918 on: February 09, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Altered Carbon

I'm seven episodes in and probably checking out. On the surface it has a ton of elements I like, but just doesn't utilize or execute them very well. I got this far in because I've mostly been putting it on as I do work or chores around the house, so I get the visuals while missing a lot of the terrible dialogue and cliche plot points.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1919 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
Watched Season 1 of Stranger Things. It was good enough, kept me interested to finish, but otherwise it was nothing special. Already watched episode 1 of season 2. Not sure I will stick with it though. We will see. Maybe if someone convinces me season 2 is worth it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."