Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226354 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2130 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »
The rest of DN season 2...

"Globesman" - Excellent riff on Salesman with great gags. This is exactly what I hoped and imagined this series to be. A

"Final Transmission" - ...and this was pretty terrible. I'm not just saying that because Stop Making Sense is so dear to me. They manage to capture some of the beats from the original, but it just doesn't work as parody, or as anything else. The songs aren't good, the songs aren't funny, and the songs sound almost nothing like Talking Heads. At one point they're inexplicably doing a Tom Waits parody?? There are a couple of faintly amusing jabs at David Bryne's pretentiousness and Hader provides a chuckle or two but everything else misses the mark. D

"Mr. Runner Up: My Life as an Oscar Bridesmaid, Parts 1 & 2" - Like the season 1 finale, this doesn't need to be this long but at least there are some pretty good jokes here. B/B+

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2131 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
Line of Duty finishes Season 5 next week. I know it hasn't caught fire here in the U.S., so I'm happy to read how successful it's doing in the U.K. This season is a little pulpier, closer in spirit to creator/writer Jed Mercurio's award-winning Bodyguard, but it's nail-biting stuff. The regular cast is all in peak form and Guest Star for the season Stephen Graham (Snatch, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 & 5) has the show clenched in his teeth.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:18:33 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2132 on: April 29, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
I meant Line of Duty. Good thing nobody knew what I was talking about.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2133 on: May 07, 2019, 09:02:31 AM »
Well I just finished a binge of Bonding on Netflix. Very enjoyable and with only 7 17min eps very binge-able. Lots of good laughs and some nice drama.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2134 on: May 11, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
Has anyone watched the new Twilight Zone? I only saw the first free episode and wondering if it's worth seeking out when it all wraps up. Wasn't in love with the first one, but enjoyed it enough, and obviously there's a pretty strong cast from what they were promoting, though I haven't really heard much chatter since it started. Some of it, I imagine, has to do with CBS All Access being a much smaller service compared to the big three, and also making it a weekly thing rather than dropping it all at once. Just speculation on my part, obviously, and releasing it all in one go could potentially lead to a bunch of talk for one week only to have it dry up when the next big release comes along, but also I feel like that happened anyway. Who knows.

Deadwood continues to be very good.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2135 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:25 AM »
I’ve been watching The Society so that you don’t have to. It’s awful.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2136 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2137 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:39 AM »
Chernobyl: Ep. 1 and 2

Not sure if anyone else is watching this miniseries on HBO. It is definitely fascinating seeing the peticulars. While there are certainly players who threaten to put Soviet pride/image above doing what is right and necessary, I'd say at this point in the story it actually doesn't portray them in the worst light. To the degree that they haven't acted as swiftly or effectively to the threat I think you can credit that it really was a novel disaster. That they show Jared Harris's main character recording a confession of sorts as suicide note right away before flashing back signals failures of a sort that I have not yet seen, but even without specific failure I suppose there could be a survivor's guilt sort of thing.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2138 on: May 15, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
Planning on watching that when I get through Deadwood, which should be around the end of the month. Looking forward to it based on the trailers.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2139 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
Carrie and I had a lot of fun watching Star Trek: Discovery, despite its flaws. Too much reliance on people being duplicitous/not who they seem, too many fistfights, some stuff that feels like plot holes or at least inconsistencies. But the cast is really strong, most of the characters are enjoyable, and it's fun.

The season 2 finale definitely feels like the finale for a show that doesn't know if it's coming back for another season. It sets up some intriguing possibilities though. I sure hope the show concentrates on the crew coping with a strange universe 930 years in the future (far beyond any ST timeline so far) and NOT on them returning to their own time. The show needs to divorce itself from all the Spock/original series baggage and fly on the strength of its own merits. This is the perfect opportunity to do that.

love