love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226340 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2140 on: May 20, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
Having a baby really cuts into free time, our watchlist has become huge. On deck:

Bosch - new season
Masterchef Australia - new season
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - final season
You're the Worst - final season
Nailed It! - new season
Planet Earth II - still have a couple of episodes we haven't gotten to
Bob's Burgers - about a dozen episodes behind
Stranger Things - season 2 (we're probably never gonna get to this, neither of us cares enough)
The Amazing Race - current season (caught up for now)
The Confession Tapes
Vera - all seasons
Irish Bake Off
South African Bake Off
The Great Celebrity Bake Off
Russian Doll
The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

And that's just our mutual watchlist. Stuff I want to watch (in the scant few moments I get time alone with the TV):

Black-ish - just started season 3
Drunk History - new season
Deuce
Vice Principals
Barry
Terrace House
Schitt's Creek
Salt Fat Acid Heat
AP Bio

I did manage to binge the last season of "Veep" this weekend. Funny as always though I feel it went a little over-the-top at times. Did not care for the "26 years later" epilogue, that kind of thing never works well for me.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2141 on: May 20, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
Dead to Me

An amazing script with two leads that really sell it make this a remarkable season of television.  Jen decides to try out a grief group after her husband is killed in a hit and run, despite her cynicism and fury.  There she meets Judy, with whom she is able to connect and not feel quite so alone in the world.  The relationship between these two are the core of the show and you want to keep watching despite the sometimes too compact plot.  There is so much that happens and it keeps you rolling with it.  I don't think I took a break longer than five minutes throughout the ten episodes. 

Very recommended.

4.5/4
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2142 on: May 21, 2019, 05:54:01 AM »
Bosch - new season

How is Bosch? Is it a procedural or more a single storyline? I'm a fan of the lead but haven't checked out the show yet.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2143 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
We love it. There's a single crime/mystery each season, and the overarching story of the murder of Bosch's mother (kind of like Monk in that respect). Bosch is your standard troubled cop who doesn't play by the rules, but the writing is strong enough that I don't mind the tropes.

Though I must say I cringe every time they remind us that his full name is, you guessed it, Hieronymus Bosch.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2144 on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Fleabag season 2 is somehow better than season 1. An amazing first ep promises a lot and the remaining 6 deliver. The final moments are absolutely brilliant. Carve 3.5 hours out of your schedule to watch this ASAP.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2145 on: May 22, 2019, 05:26:01 AM »
Game of Thrones was alright. Barry was fantastic. Why is one a cultural touchstone and the other is an overlooked/underappreciated gem? I'm such a TV-hipster.  8)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2146 on: May 22, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
I'd actually say this season of Barry was more disappointing than this season of Game of Thrones.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2147 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
Fleabag season 2 is somehow better than season 1. An amazing first ep promises a lot and the remaining 6 deliver. The final moments are absolutely brilliant. Carve 3.5 hours out of your schedule to watch this ASAP.

I'm really looking forward to it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2148 on: May 22, 2019, 12:43:05 PM »
I'd actually say this season of Barry was more disappointing than this season of Game of Thrones.

Yeah, you wrong.  ;D

Sarah Goldberg was so fun to watch this season, and her rant during the penultimate episode should go down as masterclass in the monologue pantheon. She’s a gem.

Also, the Bill Hader episode (6, I think?) was probably the weirdest/funniest half hour of television I’ve seen in a while. I think someone wise called it a “Tarantino/Coen Bros.-esque fever dream.”
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:44:57 PM by Solid Blake »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2149 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »
Also, the Bill Hader episode (6, I think?) was probably the weirdest/funniest half hour of television I’ve seen in a while. I think someone wise called it a “Tarantino/Coen Bros.-esque fever dream.”

I haven't started the show yet, but aren't they ALL Bill Hader episodes? Or is this some meta thing where he's playing "Bill Hader"?