Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226395 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2170 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »
Much akin to Fleabag, the latest series by Black Mirror went from good to great the moment Andrew Scott appeared on screen. Seriously, what a phenomenal actor.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2171 on: June 14, 2019, 12:33:28 AM »
When They See Us

Part 1:
Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Part 2:
Oh really? No, really?  Damn.

Part 3:
Sure, it hurts, but it’s a respite.

Part 4:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.... ugh.  *tears of relief*

The best television this year.

4.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2172 on: June 16, 2019, 06:23:03 AM »
I really loved The Chef Show on Netflix. It's totally wholesome and enjoyable. I'm bummed it was only 8 episodes or so.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2173 on: June 17, 2019, 07:43:59 AM »
I am through three episodes of When They See Us and yes, it is extremely good and essential. The first two play like an episode of Law & Order but instead of making the detectives and DAs into heroes, we see them for the corrupt monsters they actually are. I quibble with a few aspects of how they present the trials because they make absolutely no legal sense (the prosecution is shown resting at a point where things don't look great for them, yet for some reason the defense actually bothers to present a case which seems to open up the worst evidence against their clients).

The third episode feels a bit off in the context of the first two. It does useful work in showing the challenges of post-release life. But whereas the first two episodes specifically group the kids together into one story, the third episode largely sends them out, now as adults played by different actors, to have their own individual stories. With new actors in the roles, it feels like the show needs to reintroduce us to these characters. The actors don't look enough like their young versions that I automatically know which relates to which, so I felt I needed more somehow, but everything was so spread out it didn't get there. Of course, there is a very good reason they couldn't get all of them together as a group in the episode.

Anyway, looking forward to finishing this tonight.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2174 on: June 18, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
I didn't want to watch When They See Us because we'd already watched The Central Park Five doc and I didn't want to revisit familiar territory, especially when we have so many other things to watch. But Carrie talked me into it and we watched the first episode. Now I don't want to continue because it's so painfully heartwrenching. I'm sure we'll finish it, but man... powerful stuff.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2175 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
Anybody watching Years and Years on HBO? It's a cool premise (follows a family over the course of decades in a single season. It's a superb cast (Emma Thompson and Rory Kinnear are my faves) and there's an excellent needle drop in the second episode.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2176 on: July 05, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
Random Thoughts on Stranger Things S3E1
* Day of the Dead was Unrated and given a very limited theatrical release. A packed house in a mall theater is pure fantasy.
* Love the gender reversal homage to the "Moving in Stereo" scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High
* That guy looks like Jake Busey.  Holy Crap, that IS Jake Busey.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2177 on: July 05, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »
My wife was a big fan of the original Press Your Luck. I never watched, but I've been watching this new version and it's pretty fun. I'm posting because the new version is hosted by Elizabeth Banks, and she's really good at the job. I've always heard she's one of the rare good actors on set in terms of not being a diva and respecting the work of the crew. As host, she holds the show's center with energy, cheer and empathy for the contestants, putting the focus on their journey as they are swept along on for that hour. She makes me realize being a game show host does take a particular skill, and she's got it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2178 on: July 06, 2019, 10:22:26 AM »
Stranger Things Season 3
While I liked it, the series is settling into a comfortable groove that puts it squarely within a good television show and no longer above it. The characters carry me through, though it's a bit disappointing to see them separated into three groups for most of the series. (Among those, the adults stick out as the ensemble's weakness.) There's a lack of Great moments - a set-up involving a ferris wheel goes surprisingly nowhere - with the best one being a small detail that occurrs very early, when Steve discovers where that music is coming from.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2179 on: July 06, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
Some would argue it was only just fine TV is season 1 and then never bother with season 2.