Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 77650 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2190 on: July 11, 2019, 04:01:46 AM »
I just watched the first episode and was somewhat underwhelmed given how much I like Michael Sheen and David Tennant. Will give it another episode though.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2191 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
I just watched the first episode and was somewhat underwhelmed given how much I like Michael Sheen and David Tennant. Will give it another episode though.

They aren't really given a huge amount to do. They are just objects in the overall scheme.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2192 on: July 11, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »

They aren't really given a huge amount to do. They are just objects in the overall scheme.

Watched the first half hour and that's already how all the characters felt. Quirky pieces on a big chess board. No real relationships. No real drama.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2193 on: July 22, 2019, 03:15:19 PM »
Rewatching Neon Genesis: Evangelion on Netflix. It's so good. Even better than I remembered. The intensity is incredible.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2194 on: July 22, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »
Ramy

Most consider religion to be a monolith, each faith being a unified set of beliefs and practices held by all within the group.  Ramy gives a more realistic and more entertaining point of view of one religion, Islam, than almost any TV show.  Any given Muslim has their own eccentric beliefs, politics, and morals.  Our protagonist is a milquetoast womanizer and a faithful occupant of a prayer rug.  We get in depth views of his racist uncle, his jealous sister and his empty nester mother.  We see Islam in the US and Egypt.  It is only occasionally funny, usually when Ramy is given space to be charming.  Its on Hulu and quite good.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2195 on: July 27, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
The Boys is some twisted diabolical fun.
Hey, nice marmot!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2196 on: July 27, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
I'm glad to hear it's good. I was a little wary of more grimdark superhero stuff. I want my superhero stuff to be either brilliant or at least fun.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #2197 on: July 28, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
I second the praise for The Boys. The grim take is part of the charm but I think it still has a lot going for it beyond that.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2198 on: July 28, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
Karl Urban is chewing the scenery in every take.
He is magnificent.
Hey, nice marmot!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2199 on: July 28, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Watched an episode and a half of "Terrace House: Boys + Girls In the City" today. Not what I was hoping for. All anyone talks about is hooking up and who's attracted to who. I thought it would just be about their day-to-day lives but it feels more like a dating show. And the panel chiming in is really dumb. Oh well, that's one I can scratch off my list.

I watched the first ep of "Schitt's Creek" and normally I don't like to judge on one episode, but I just wasn't feeling it.

The new Aziz Ansari special is fine. Nothing great, but he has some good fun with the audience, and addresses his controversy tastefully.

It's a damn shame that "Tuca & Bertie" got cancelled, it's so inventive and surreal... and hilarious. I can't help thinking they'd give it another season if it had two male leads (*cough* "Big Mouth" *cough*) instead of two females. Hopefully it finds another home.

For now I've decided to focus on catching up on "Black-ish" (just started season 3). Always an enjoyable watch, if somewhat formulaic most of the time.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap