Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226359 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2240 on: September 05, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »
Oh man, I need to watch that now. Didn't realize he was doing a new show.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2241 on: September 05, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »
Finished Season 1, and the final reveal is something that's not sitting right with me right now. My guess is it represents such a fundamental shift to the entire project that I'm resisting the show no longer being what it's been. Obv, that can be a great thing. I just need some time to think about it. Mrs. 1SO is ready for Season 2 immediately, but I'm going to put it off for a bit. Also, her clown phobia was done no favors by that final episode, which has a clown in the frame of nearly every shot, including a couple of new ones inside the bedroom.

I'm stunned that a network television show allowed such an original concept.

There is no other twist in the show akin to this one, but every few episodes the atmosphere and the context completely changes.  It is amazing ingenuity, and while the characters do little shifts, they remain amazingly consistent throughout the series.

D'Arcy Carden as the Janets (and more) is one of the most amazing comedic actresses of all time.  She deserves an award, just because she's kept up with all the crazy stunts the writers create for her.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2242 on: September 06, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »
American Horror Story Season 1 - Murder House
★ ★ ★ - Good
The Pilot gave me strong Nip/Tuck vibes where so much was packed into the episode I wondered how they could sustain it for 11 more. Much credit to the plotting, pulling so many different types of murder/ghost stories into a single sprawling epic that doesn't veer completely into camp until a strange "Get Out" coda in the final episode dealing with a whole new couple. This large canvas gave me something new, a ghost world where there are people both good and bad. Emotions vary so that the way they "haunt" this house comes in forms both benign and malicious. Really strong cast too.

I'm definitely continuing on with the series, though my gut tells me to skip Hotel.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2243 on: September 07, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
I enjoyed the first season, but I understand that each season stands alone.  Which meant, for me, that it was a good place to stop.  I am always thinking about moving on to another season, but I haven't done it yet.  Great plot for that season, though.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2244 on: September 11, 2019, 10:18:29 PM »
The Good Place
"I hope we same place again, very now."

Season 2 Episode 8 is where Mrs. 1SO gets off the train. The show has taken a great leap into the surreal and while I still like it, I miss the character based humor of the show that's now more into playing with the logic with bizarre results. For me, the turn came when a glitching Janet vomited coins all over the place, and episode where Kristen Bell doesn't even have a scene until the 2nd half. With the wife, it was when Derek showed up, a character she'd be happy never to see again. (I decided this was not the time to tell her what a fan I am of Jason Mantzoukas.)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2245 on: September 12, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Oh no! Maximum Derek is the best Derek.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2246 on: September 12, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
Ducktales Season 2
★ ★ ★ - Very Good
Everyone has their own levels for the right amount of nostalgia versus too much nostalgia. For me, Ducktales walks that line as well as anything. The 2nd season brings in Darkwing, a legion of doom (Glomgold, The Beagle Boys, Magica De Spell and Don Karnage), a Bubba I didn't hate and touches like a marooned Donald talking to a Mickey-shaped melon. I didn't even grow up with the old Ducktales, but I'm really happy with this show's Community-like blend of strong characters and outlandish ideas.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2247 on: September 13, 2019, 05:57:22 AM »
Oh no! Maximum Derek is the best Derek.

Horst Tappert is the best Derrick

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2248 on: September 13, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »
Niemand kann das leugnen.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2249 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

Carole & Tuesday

But, does anything really need to be 24 episodes these days?

24 episodes is a normal length for a TV anime? I mean, this isn't a shounen show that runs hundreds of episodes...