love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226345 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2400 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:17 AM »
Been watching this Harley Quinn show on HBOMax (and, prior to that, I assume, the DC streaming service), and I'm about halfway through the first season. Still not sure I'm all aboard, but it has been pretty good, and is structured in such a way that gives it an Archer-esque feeling, even with the way the comedy is structured. The first episode really leans in to how much blood and cursing they can do, but as the show has gone on the cursing remains while the violence has given way a good deal. Which is a bummer because it was animated pretty well and could give the fights at least some weight. Ultimately, it's a sitcom, there seems to be some mild development with characters that changes, but at the end it all resets to the status quo, at least so far. But I'll probably watch more, at the very least I'll finish this first season.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2401 on: August 07, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale

[The Handmaid's Tale] reminds me of what I have, and how easily it could all disappear.  It's a reminder to always stand up for what I believe in and to appreciate every moment.

Since I had some free time the last few weeks and since I have access to Hulu now, I decided to bite the bullet and sprint through The Handmaid's Tale. I couldn't bear to watch it in dribs and drabs, so knew that once started, it would be an endurance test. I would not leave those women until I walked with them all the way through, or at least as far as was available. I didn't realize at first, that the 3 seasons isn't the full story. I should have known better, but knowing that may have kept me from engaging in the show and that would have been a huge miss.

As a woman and an indoctrinated one at that, when I read the book a dozen years ago or so, it sowed seeds of resistance that didn't come to fruition until much later. Watching the show now, I see the wheels turning ever so slowly for some of the characters, as they try and reconcile dogma with reality. It doesn't work so well, and the mental gymnastics' levels get more and more difficult. What's more difficult is watching women who have lived independent and liberated lives, be stripped of everything and then try and reconcile themselves to their fate. This too doesn't work so well and the ramifications are rampant.

The counterbalance of powerlessness and small victories are woven into these three seasons in a skilled way. So much oppression met with mental strength and forward movement, even if seemingly imperceptible. The actors and the writing are why this works, along with the art direction and the music. I can't say enough about the music! A soundtrack of defiance, irony and grief. I am consistently moved by the choices.

Gilead is not fiction. There are variations on the theme throughout the world and even in my own backyard. Another reason I was so compelled to watch and watch quickly is that the show feels like a roadmap of sorts and I wanted/needed to learn it and learn it well. I need to be infused with its message, so I can have the strength to move forward and help others do the same. Yes, "We're going to need a bigger boat."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #2402 on: August 07, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »
love this review Sandy! I know that this probably hit very close to home, im glad you got through it and while I'm only a little familiar it seems like an important and interesting story. I love your reviews so much they are a lot like mine! ❤
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2403 on: August 08, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
I love your reviews so much they are a lot like mine! ❤

enigma for the win! :))

love this review Sandy! I know that this probably hit very close to home, I'm glad you got through it and while I'm only a little familiar it seems like an important and interesting story.

Thank you, Col. Yes, it is an important story and the creators of the series hold nothing back in the telling of it. It's bold and brave and oh so scary.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2404 on: August 08, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
The most disturbing part of The Handmaid’s Tale is that there are whole groups of our population that would love to see that kind of America happen.
And that they are actively working towards that goal.
Hey, nice marmot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2405 on: August 17, 2020, 06:01:51 AM »
That's one aspect of Serena Joy's character that I enjoyed. Watching her suffer the consequences of the system she promoted.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2406 on: August 17, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »
The most disturbing part of The Handmaid’s Tale is that there are whole groups of our population that would love to see that kind of America happen.
And that they are actively working towards that goal.

I wish this were hyperbole. :(

That's one aspect of Serena Joy's character that I enjoyed. Watching her suffer the consequences of the system she promoted.

It's an amazing example of poetic justice. One thing that I didn't expect to happen, was intermittent sympathy for Serena Joy along the way. I didn't know whether to feel guilt for being swayed, or impressed with the complexity and inner conflicts of the character.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2407 on: August 19, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
Finished the third season of Dear White People. The first season had some great moments and one fantastic episode, the second season was decent and the third season feels like it was grasping at straws to try to say something meaningful and the overarching plot was super dumb. I'm curious to watch the movie now because I think this concept needed to be more focused. Doing one season probably would have been best but so much of this streaming era seems to be just about putting out something for people to watch whether or not it's any good. It's a real shame.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2408 on: August 19, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »
Yeah, it definitely tailed off badly in season three.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2409 on: August 22, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
Season one of New Girl consistently got laughs from me but the more it went on, the more formulaic and problematic it felt. For one, there are a lot of Asian jokes that come off as super racist. Worst one is probably Lizzy Caplan (who I love) yelling "Confucius say" at a Chinese person over the phone. And Schmitt's continual comments about Indian women comes across as fetishizing at best and just straight up racism at worst. And boy does this show rely way too much on sex jokes to get laughs. They're generally the least funny bits. The boring part is the Jess/Nick relationship feels like it hits every lame note of the "will they/won't they" relationship checklist. They're both also legitimately people I wouldn't want to hang around which made me realize I'm basically laughing at these characters and their plight. The joke is always at their expense.

I'm so picky about my comedies and this one did not pass the test. I like me some Zoey, the moment she leans into her quirky oddness tend to be my favorite moments, it's just everything around it ranges from lazy to icky and I have better things to do in life than watch mediocre comedies.