Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226346 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2870 on: December 07, 2022, 04:03:32 PM »
Mysterious Benedict Society Season 2
★ ★ ★ - Very Good
There's a sadness that something so singular and beautiful exists and there will never be a Season 3. It's too visually opulent, even on an obvious budget, and nobody is watching. Kind of rubs salt in the wound that they end on a note the suggests the conflict for Season 3. Instead, I just hope the series remains on Disney+, where I can rewatch it joyfully from time to time. Season 2 is even better than Season 1, repeating many of the same ideas but with a greater sense of urgency and a nice deepening of the characters.

Side note: One of my favorite needle drops is an episode of Season 1 that opens to "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring. The Season 2 finale tops it in terms of using one of the dopiest songs by the dopiest band that's part of my DNA, "Renegade" by STYX. I think I blanked out for a few minutes while that was playing.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2871 on: December 07, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
We are enjoying season 2 of MBS, watching it weekly (although we are quite behind) as a family. Sad to think there will be no season 3. The show's quirkiness is wonderful and a lovely change from the general tv show fair, less dark than Dirk Gently's but both with a wonderfully odd bunch of characters.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:37:21 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2872 on: December 07, 2022, 09:16:32 PM »
House of the Dragon

Six episodes in so I’ll probably finish the season off but man did the 10-yr time hop kill my (already somewhat reserved) enthusiasm. Having heard about Greens vs Blacks, I’m surprised that hasn’t really been made overt, thus feels a slow build, but it feels like they jump forward, say this character is very important and knock the character off in an hour. The losses in GoT often felt acute because of how much investment you had in them. Here the only loss I’ve mourned is Milly Alcock, and that’s just because they swapped in an older actress.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #2873 on: December 08, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »
My wife and I have been binge watching the first 4 seasons of The Crown. Can't understand the love this series has gotten. For every really interesting episode, you have to endure 2-3 that slog badly.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2874 on: December 10, 2022, 08:30:46 PM »
Listening to pop culture podcasts I've noticed a trend of people picking moments from Book of Boba Fett as peak television or Star Wars while calling the show a failure compared to other Star Wars series. So I rewatched just the last three episodes - where Mando and others crash the narrative - and it really is some peak Star Wars fun. Not as transcendent as Andor, and watching it after Andor is like following a great work of literature with a comic book, but I forgot just how many characters from across the SW galaxy Dave Filoni brings together for that final section.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2875 on: December 10, 2022, 09:43:28 PM »
Finished House of the Dragon. Still don't care about anyone in it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2876 on: February 03, 2023, 09:29:20 PM »
Five episodes into Poker Face, and while none of them are bad I can only recommend Episode 1 with enthusiasm. It's the only episode with an often diabolically clever script. What you might expect from Writer/Director Rian Johnson, but he also did the 2nd episode which is... Okay. The rest of the series is right in line with that one.

Also, the big "gotcha" of Episode 3 is stolen directly from a Columbo episode. The rest of the Columbo-isms are subtle and not trading on nostalgia, but that moment is outright theft.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2877 on: February 03, 2023, 11:20:25 PM »
I just finished the first 4 episodes and I agree. The show is fine and I'll probably keep watching, but it's not as clever as it should be. It's often too easy to see how she'll solve the murders (most egregiously in episode 1, IMO), and being way ahead of the protagonist isn't very fun.

The Last of Us lives up to the hype. I loved the games, but I think I may love the show even more.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2878 on: February 04, 2023, 04:26:41 AM »
Just finished season 2 of Slow Horses, so....f'ing.....good. Rich characters, great performances, murky plots. Just what a spy thriller so be. And Oldman is on another level, but not in a way that detracts from the other performances. If you like a spy show I highly recommend this.

And while you are on Apple TV+ for something lighter, but also great TV, I would also recommend Ted Lasso.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2879 on: February 04, 2023, 05:32:23 AM »
I have a lot of TV in the queue.

One episode left of Wednesday…like her and Enid as characters but find little else of interest.

Started watching Derry Girls, though that will just be the odd episode over time. It’s pretty enjoyable per its reputation.

Definitely need S2 of Slow Horses, S1 of Poker Face and hopefully S3 of Ted Lasso eventually along with Shrinking since it’s from the same people.

love