Author Topic: Top 100 Books 2012 discussion thread  (Read 14614 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Top 100 Books 2012 discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
That first line from Red Harvest is great.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
LA Confidential

Is this your favorite of the L.A. Quartet/Dudley Smith Series? (THE BIG NOWHERE will most definitely make it onto my list.)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
The Big Nowhere is my favourite too.  Buzz Meeks is one of my favourite characters. Hated how he was used in the film of LAC.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
Argh not even 1 out of 10 out of pity? ;D

I mean I havent read any of them sadly. All sound terrific

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
I haven't read any of them either. Does watching two of the films count for anything?

Mega-post alert! My top 10 with quotes, bring your lunch. What can I say, labour of love.

The Stars, My Destination- Alfred Bester

“Friends, Romans, Countrymen,” Fourmyle began earnestly. “Lend me your ears, Shakespeare. 1564-1616. Damn!”
Four white doves shook themselves out of Fourmyle's sleeves and fluttered away. He regarded them with astonishment, then continued. “Friends, greetings, salutations, bonjour, bon ton, bon vivant, bon voyage, bon—What the hell? ”Fourmyle's pockets caught fire and rocketed forth Roman Candles. He tried to put himself out. Streamers and confeti burst from him. “Friends... Shut up l'Il get this speech straight. Quiet! Friends—!” Fourmyle looked down at himself in dismay. His clothes were melting away, revealing lurid scarlet underwear. “Kleinmanl” he bellowed furiously. “Kleinmanl What‟s happened to your godamned hypno-training?”
A hairy head thrust out of a tent. “You stoodied for dis sbeech last night, Fourmyle?”
“Damn right. For two hours I stoodied. Never took my head out of the hypno-oven. Kleinman on Prestidigitation.”
“No,no,no!” the hairy man bawled. “How many times must I tell you? Prestidigitation is not sbeechmaking. Is magic. Dumbkopfl You haff the wrong hypnosis taken!”

Neuromancer- William Gibson

"I'm going in for a pass, Dixie."
"Be my guest."
Case punched to within four grid points of the cube. its blank face, towering above him now, began to seethe with faint internal shadows, as though a thousand dancers whirled behind a vast sheet of frosted glass.
"Knows we're here," the Flatline observed.
Case punched again, once; they jumped forward by a single grid point.
A stippled grey circle formed on the face of the cube.
"Dixie…"
"Back off , fast".
The grey area bulged smoothly, became a sphere, and detached itself from the cube.
Case felt the edge of the deck sting his palm as he slapped MAX REVERSE. The matrix blurred backward; they plunged down a twilight shaft of Swiss banks. He looked up. The sphere was darker now, gaining on him. Falling.
"Jack out," the Flatline said.
The dark came down like a hammer.

These two look the most interesting to me. I kind of lean towards Neuromancer, but I really want to read a book that has these lines in it, [possible spoiler?]“You pigs, you. You rut like pigs, is all. You got the most in you, and you use the least. You hear me, you? Got a million in you and spend pennies. Got a genius in you and think crazies. Got a heart in you and feel empties."[/spoiler] Which would you recommend? I just started Rumpole of the Bailey :), so will have to wait a little while.
"Inside you there's a strength that lies."

Devil

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
I was looking at my bookshelf trying to get started and realized I am missing a bunch of titles  ??? . It's hard enough trying to rank them, now trying to remember ones that aren't there makes it even more difficult
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »
I've read Neuromancer and Stars My Destination, that's it.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
Buzz Meeks is one of my favourite characters. Hated how he was used in the film of LAC.

Shameful. I also thought Trashcan/Hollywood Jack got short shrift. But other than those two cases, I prefer the film in almost every way. That book is, by far, my least favorite of the set. 

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
Buzz Meeks is one of my favourite characters. Hated how he was used in the film of LAC.

Shameful. I also thought Trashcan/Hollywood Jack got short shrift. But other than those two cases, I prefer the film in almost every way. That book is, by far, my least favorite of the set.
The horseback takedown of a train that Jack goes down in, is a bizarre, refreshing heroic piece of writing surrounded by all the dark alley stuff. I'd order them;

Big Nowhere
White Heat (really disconcerting narrative style Ellroy starts the book with, takes a while to settle into, but works wonderfully)
LAC
Black Dahlia

Which would you recommend? I just started Rumpole of the Bailey :), so will have to wait a little while.
I wonder what noff thinks of "The Stars MD", I know he read it a while back. That quote like a lot of these, doesn't show a high literary level (not many long words), but they all knock me out for the vitality. If you took a hundred quotes from "The Stars" they would probably look like they belong to a hundred different books. I'm a lot more reticent about recommending books because they are such an investment in time. Hope you enjoy Rumpole.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:42:14 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
THE BIG NOWHERE
WHITE JAZZ
THE BLACK DAHLIA
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL

(really disconcerting narrative style Ellroy starts the book with, takes a while to settle into, but works wonderfully)

I love the (apocryphal) anecdote about the manuscript for WHITE JAZZ being deemed "too long" by the editor and how that prompted Ellroy to go back and cut out all the verbs.