love

Author Topic: Top Ten Authors  (Read 9722 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Top Ten Authors
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
But I've really liked everything I've read of her work, especially short fiction.
Her output was relatively limited since she died at 39 (she wrote only two novels and published only two short story collections, I believe), but she wrote furiously up until the time of her death (she spent the last years of her life knowing she was going to die).  One wonders what the world would have seen from her had she lived another 30 years or so.

Have you read any of her non-fiction prose? I suspect you'd really appreciate it, oldkid. Mystery and Manners is wonderful.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
But I've really liked everything I've read of her work, especially short fiction.
Her output was relatively limited since she died at 39 (she wrote only two novels and published only two short story collections, I believe), but she wrote furiously up until the time of her death (she spent the last years of her life knowing she was going to die).  One wonders what the world would have seen from her had she lived another 30 years or so.

Have you read any of her non-fiction prose? I suspect you'd really appreciate it, oldkid. Mystery and Manners is wonderful.

I never have.  I'll have to check that out.  (going to library queue...)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Willa Cather, Antonia Fraser, Tolkien, Jane Austen, and--although I will totally deny it if any of you ever meet me in person--I like Anne Rice too.   ;D

And Dr. Seuss.  :)

Someday I'm going to read me some David Foster Wallace.  One of my friends read Infinite Jest in 1999 and he wasn't able to talk about anything else for about 3 years, he loved it that much.

The answers you seek are in Norway.

love