Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2012  (Read 66131 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2012
« Reply #440 on: November 05, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
I'm aiming for Wednesday.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #441 on: November 05, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
My one word review of:
Exorcist II: The Heretic
PAZUZU!!!!

That is all.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #442 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1933) -

As I continue along with the old old horror classics, films made pre-World War II which have been deemed classic in the genre, I begin to see more and more films that are not necessarily scary while watching them. However, I have come to a certain level of understanding I think in terms of realizing their entertainment value, especially considering the era in which they originally tailored to. And that is important to note, for I think, more so than any other genre perhaps, horror films are very much "of their time". With The Invisible Man, I find it to be no different. The special effects used to produce the concept are more the attraction than the actual story I think. But I was still able to gain some interesting reflection thanks to the subject of the film.

The invisible man is one of those earlier horror films which haven't really had a remake, except for the similar Kevin Bacon film Hollow Man perhaps. But I am a bit surprised because it has been one of the more interesting concepts of this lot of early horror films. The Invisible Man. What would you do if you could be invisible? What a great gig that would be, right? You could sneak around, spook people if you wish. It'd be easy to hide from people you don't want to see, and even commit crimes with great ease. But the flip side of that is what this film touches on briefly, and what I reflected most upon. Being invisible would be a curse as well. Maddening even. Our fine doctor, portrayed by Claude Rains, exemplifies that.

It would drive me mad, that's for sure. It might be good for a novel thrill, but would wear off quickly when you realize no one can see you, and as a result, you can't see anyone either. You would be deemed different, a freak, and ostracized by all those who didn't know you. It isn't really much different than being an outcast in real life. A bit hard to take, and often time, you might feel as though you truly are invisible. I am more than likely delving deeper than the original intents of the film, but I often find the openness of interpretation of certain films becomes a strength. The Invisible Man is far from a perfect film, with one of its principle flaws being the lack of Claude Rains despite him being the lead character. Being invisible might do that to you. But it was an enjoyable film, and one of the better during this Shocktober series.

**1/2 - Good
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #443 on: November 05, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
The Wolf Man (George Waggner, 1941) -

As Shocktober draws to a close for me, I think I have finally found the classic horror film I enjoyed the most. I have not seen the recent remake of this film, though I have found it interesting how all of these films do feature remakes. In fact, I had no interest in seeing the film. Perhaps now, with a bit of curiosity, I may decide to track it down one day, maybe for a future Shocktober, but really I must say that my enjoyment of this particular film stems quite a bit from the actors and the charisma with which they deliver their performances. Lon Chaney, another in a long line of names I have recognized during this particular series, and yet have truly never seen. But after seeing him here, I will certainly have to remedy that in the future.

He is not the greatest I have ever seen. His performance is not one of the all time greats. No, Chaney's performance reminds me of the type of actor who is a movie star. He has a certain air about him that you can't help but like and enjoy. Sometime those actors turn out to be majorly talented as well (Humphrey Bogart) and other times they are just great movie stars who may turn in a pretty darn good dramatic performance here and there as well (Tom Cruise if you will). The cast around him is enjoyable as well, highlighted by Evelyn Ankers who plays the love interest in the film. And what a nice little sub plot the romance was. Quite well done and not really in your typical manner with the desired woman being already engaged. Not entirely original but better perhaps than your typical damsel in distress.

The makeup and such was a highlight as well, not surprising given what was required of that department. I guess at the end of the day, there really wasn't any one thing that really jumped out at me as being exceptional. Instead, the film is just solidly constructed from start to finish. Lon Chaney was a lot of fun to watch in the film, which in turn made the film quite a bit of monster fun as well. It would not rank among my favorite horror of all time, though it seems as though it very well may be my favorite so far in this years lot (with two more films remaining). And at the very least, it will help me enjoy one of my all time favorite films, The Sandlot, that much more.

*** - Very Good

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
Alright, here's the last one from me. Wish I had gotten to more, but last month was an odd time.

The Blob (1958)

The Blob is better than it has any right to be. Its barebones character, quasi-cheesy performances and goofy monster make it that historical horror flick that just doesn’t appear to have the staying power of more moody, chilling and artistic horror films. And yet, The Blob has cemented itself as one of the classic horror films of the ‘50s. Why? Because it’s just that much fun.

When Steve (Steve McQueen) and Jane (Aneta Corsaut) see a falling object crash not far from their town, they investigate, only in time to find the outer shell of something else, some gelatinous goo that has infected the arms of a hermit. They take the hermit into town to the doctor, but the goo gets out of control and soon begins to attack others, starting with the doctor and then sneaking into town.

The young kids run around town at night, going on about how there’s some creature out to kill everyone while the sensible adults are all far too rational to believe in such nonsense as gelatinous aliens who consume all flesh that it touches. Much like Rebel without a Cause, The Blob serves as an exploration of the tension between a new youth culture and an adult world who fails to understand or even listen to a rock and roll generation.

The blob itself is often observed as a social critique of consumerism. It eats all it touches and as it grows and grows its appetite only becomes larger and more destructive. It’s a smart commentary in that no one seems to have to make the connection that The Blob is somehow indicative of American culture, it just arises from the concept and setting.

The Blob cuts out such nonsense and just rolls with its goofy plot with enough sincerity to make it work. It’s not so overly important to make the film strain for drama it doesn’t deserve, and the film is smart enough to keep its runtime under 90 minutes, making it a film that reaches its climax and resolves before the limitations of The Blob as an antagonist reach its limits.

None of that may explain why the film ends up being as fun as it is, but it’s a film that isn’t trying to be smarter or scarier than it is. The straightforward presentation, conservative runtime and understated commentary all allow the film to never get in the way of itself. While it’s no grand, artistic work of horror or an exemplar in great performances, The Blob is good, b-movie fun.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
An American Werewolf in London (John Landis, 1981) -

John Landis is a name with which I am quite familiar. In fact, I love the work of John Landis, one of the true great comedic filmmakers of the 80s. Time after time he came out with great comedies featuring those 80s geniuses like Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi or Eddie Murphy. I never had the foggiest idea that An American Werewolf in London would be directed by the likes of John Landis. But when I lined it up for my Shocktober slate, I found that out and instantly became quite curious of the results of the film, especially since it is to be considered a pretty decent horror film. It's always intriguing when filmmakers branch out from their niche. A lot of times, it seems to flop, but sometimes good filmmakers are just that, good filmmakers, and as such they make good films, irregardless of the genre.

It is a bit weird, though, seeing what Landis does with a horror film. There is obviously still that tinge of comedy that is being held on to. But what makes it strange is it comes out more undecided. There are some horror films where the comedy is an integral part and flows quite nicely throughout. But with An American Werewolf in London, it comes off as a bit rough around the edges. I would not call the film funny, at all, but it strolls along with a certain level of lightness that overshadows how gory the film actually is. I'm not sure this effect adversely affects the film or not, though it can create distractions. Some of the playfulness is quite fun, but as I said, it masks how dark and gory the film can be. And at its core, the film really is a pretty good interpretation of the Wolf Man story.

The two lead actors are definitely rough around the edges, two names I have not heard of, but imagine if the studio had its wish and we were watching Aykroyd and Belushi instead; it would have been a wholly different film I'm quite sure. But they work in the their roles, and I did like Jenny Agutter as Nurse Alex. It is a simple story, and there isn't much which is very dynamic about the film, but it is well told and does feature some decent scares. The makeup and effects are the star of the show, and of course, this film is what spurred on the inclusion of the Best makeup category in the Academy Awards, taking home the first honors. The final sequence of violence by the werewolf is a fitting climax to a pretty good little film.

**1/2 - Good

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
I think it worked maybe a bit more for me because I did find it funny, unhesitantly. It is definitely rough around the edges though.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
The Raven (John McTeigue, 2012)

The works of Edgar Allan Poe are enduring staples in the horror genre for good reason. They inspired a few good films from Roger Corman, starring Vincent Price that I reviewed last Shocktober and were the basis of an excellent segment of The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradburry. Hearing about The Raven, a film that exploits a gap in the historical record in the last days of Poe's life to imagine a scenario where Poe was called in to investigate a serial killer basing his murders on Poe's works. Sadly, neither Poe nor Bradburry were involved in writing this story as it does not live up to the premise and increasingly falters as it moves toward the conclusion.

Poe (John Cusack) is a drunk, having suffered great misery in his life, an influence on his work no doubt, yet having lost his creative spark. He also finds his affections for Emily (Alice Eve) frustrated by her father's (Brendan Gleeson) disapproval. They are brought together when a killer targets Poe and those he cares about in order to establish an intellectual duel with the legend, whom he clearly appreciates.

While the film does reference a number of Poe's classics, it almost feels insufficiently obliging to the stories. The better scenes are the ones that do the most to re-enact moments rather than simply referencing the outcome (by the by, don't watch this film if you want to avoid spoilers for Poe's stories). While the film certainly has a gothic visual style, it lacks the suspense of Poe's work. I don't need the film to make me to solve the puzzle, but I'd like to at least be impressed by watching Poe and the Detective (Luke Evans) seem impressive, but the battle of wits just seems lacking.

2/5

And so ends my Shocktober.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:48:25 PM by Bondo »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
Heh, I forgot that movie came out this year.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
I didn't realize John McTiernan was still making movies.

love