Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2012  (Read 66114 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2012
« Reply #450 on: November 06, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
I didn't realize John McTiernan was still making movies.

That's my bad, got to McT and my brain went on auto-pilot.  Director is John McTeigue, better known for V For Vendetta.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #451 on: November 06, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Oh cool. I hope he doesn't something as good as V again someday. :)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2012, 09:33:40 PM »
Pontypool (Bruce McDonald, 2009) -

Alright, alright, I'll join the bandwagon at Filmspotting and watch this film too I guess. A Canadian horror film about a shock jock covering a horrifying day in a small town in Ontario, Pontypool. I must admit that I was slow on the uptake in the beginning, as the film was starting to lay its ground work, but once the film picked up, it boiled over to a wonderful concoction of over the top, unbelievable storylines edging the line between laughable and effective, scary and hilarious. And in an era of the shocking, gory, bloody horror film, Pontypool manages to terrify with the good ol' fashioned "War of the Worlds" shtick.

It is not too often that you see a film with talking heads and be near as effective as this one, especially in the horror genre. So how fitting when we actually learn the cause of the chaos in town. And the situation is a bit ludicrous and hard to believe, but the film is delivered so effectively that, as I said, it toes that fine line between outrageous and laughable and actually quite entertaining and engaging. I must say that I made the contemplation a few times during the film, but each time I was pushed to the edge, I was pulled right back in. Everything seems a bit overdone, with the pressing music score and the acting going big every now and then, but that is always balanced out by quiet moments of reflection that let the situation unfolding seep into the psyche a little bit more.

Sheilding the viewer from the horrors happening outside the walls of the radio booth is one of the more bold moves director Bruce McDonald could have made, but it is also one of the more ingenius. The human mind's imagination is the friend and aid of any artist looking to create something personal. I don't know what was really going on, you don't know what was really going on; nobody does and that is the beauty of that mechanism. We all create our greatest horrors within our mind, some greater than others perhaps. And certainly our individual effort is directly related to the films ability to engage us otherwise. So in my case, my imagination was able to fill in the blanks that the vivid detail of the narrator's perspective were unable to create, leaving me a film I found quite good.

*** - Very Good

Alright, now on to Noir-vember! It's been good Shocktober!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
A tip of the heart to Corndog and Bondo and Sam for keeping Shocktober going a little while longer. Remember that you can enjoy a good Horror film all year round. Now let's bring some of the same enthusiasm to Noir-vember.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #454 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »
My final rankings from this marathon:

1.) Rosemary's Baby
2.) The Orphanage
3.) The Wicker Man
4.) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
5.) Halloween
6.) The Creature From the Black Lagoon
7.) Evil Dead II
8.) Martyrs
9.) Dawn of the Dead
10.) Army of Darkness

Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

LukeRobot

« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
This was fun! 

What is the policy on this site about posting movies on Youtube to the forum?  I would think that the movie is public domain at this point, but I don't want to break any rules.  It is one of the movies I watched during the horror marathon and it is bonkers.  Thought it would be fun to share with everyone.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #456 on: November 08, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
Not sure that there's anything against posting links to youtube...if it isn't a legal video, that's YouTube's issue. There's no embedding though, if that's what you're asking.

LukeRobot

« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
Thanks!

Anyone who would like to go on a fairy tale fever dream for an hour and a half:

Little Red Riding Hood And the Monsters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMZQsYpdHM

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #458 on: November 08, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Thanks!

Anyone who would like to go on a fairy tale fever dream for an hour and a half:

Little Red Riding Hood And the Monsters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMZQsYpdHM

:o What was that? I could not endure so had to skim through it...

love