love

Author Topic: You are not allowed to search for posts in this forum.  (Read 9371 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: You are not allowed to search for posts in this forum.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
The problem isn't the size of the forum but rather that the forum isn't currently configured with search indexing. We identified that issue back when this problem first arose, but Lynch didn't have time to fix the configuration. Perhaps our new tech friend could look into it?

(And if there are costs involved, I'm confident a forum fundraising drive would cover them in no time.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »
Unfortunately my finances are pretty tight now, but I'd chip in a little something if it could help.

As I said, it's pruning by year.  That was my first question, too.

Adam and I have been over this ground with the IT guy.  It's all or nothing. 

If it's a simple choice of either having old content or having search, maybe put up a poll?  Of course it's ultimately your forum and your decision, but you could at least get an idea where the users stand.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
The alternative is we prune the Forum rather than keeping every thread and post from the beginning of time around. I'm personally in favor of this; Candace is not.
If it's all or nothing, I'm with Candace, that is, against pruning.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »
The alternative is we prune the Forum rather than keeping every thread and post from the beginning of time around. I'm personally in favor of this; Candace is not.
If it's all or nothing, I'm with Candace, that is, against pruning.

Yeah, I agree.  Pruning it by year, where we would have to get rid of everything, is not something I would like to do.  There are lists, posts, threads, that go back years, that are important to many forum members.

"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:31 PM »
The problem isn't the size of the forum but rather that the forum isn't currently configured with search indexing. We identified that issue back when this problem first arose, but Lynch didn't have time to fix the configuration.

Just want to reiterate that there's no reason to prune old posts. Most of our problems are fixable through proper SMF forum maintenance. There are a few outlying problems might require better server hosting, but the Search issue isn't in that group.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
The problem isn't the size of the forum but rather that the forum isn't currently configured with search indexing. We identified that issue back when this problem first arose, but Lynch didn't have time to fix the configuration.

Just want to reiterate that there's no reason to prune old posts. Most of our problems are fixable through proper SMF forum maintenance. There are a few outlying problems might require better server hosting, but the Search issue isn't in that group.

pixote
That is not what our guy says. I'll be happy to send along your thoughts if you have specific ideas about how to resolve the issue.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't want to be insensitive, I recognize how important those threads are and I personally would love to have access to them. But I do think -- if it comes down to this -- a working search is more important, and certainly more relevant day to day for users, than accessing content from 4-5 years ago. I don't think any forum is ever constructed with the intention of it housing EVERYTHING for ALL TIME.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
I'll be happy to send along your thoughts if you have specific ideas about how to resolve the issue.

Okay, I'll try to PM you and Brian later on today.

pixote

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
But what about integrated chat? Or just a link to the chat up where there's like "Home" and "Help" and "Profile" links? Or is that how the other one went to flames?

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
Or embedded Youtube videos. Sometimes it feels like the Forum is running on life support.
But I probably wouldn't want to sacrifice the Bracket threads for it.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love