Poll

What's your favorite film by Timur Bekmambetov?

The Arena
0 (0%)
Night Watch
6 (24%)
Day Watch
2 (8%)
Wanted
3 (12%)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
2 (8%)
haven't seen any
5 (20%)
don't like any
7 (28%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Bekmambetov, Timur  (Read 3325 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Bekmambetov, Timur
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »
Had a similar experience with Nightwatch recently. There is still a horse throwing scene in ALVH, so I'm all good with Timur.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
Horse throwing comes in 2nd to driving up the hotel in Day Watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNb04VkyZc

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »

I was initially skeptical of this film, not just because the comic book was kinda my guilty pleasure. The comic book wasn't very well-written, being typical Mark Millar overblown in-your-face nonsense, but I did like the fresh perspective of an origin story of a supervillain, particularly one who was just a down-in-his-luck bum not that different from myself today. When I heard they took out the only remotely interesting thing from that already low quality rag, I was naturally disinterested, especially when the trailer seemed like just another generic assassin thriller without any special flavors. Of course, Bekmambetov would prove me wrong, particularly screenwriter Chris Morgan who revised my favorite part of the film - the third act. Well, okay, my favorite part was the final five minutes that embraced the spirit of the comic book more than any other scenes, but that's an irrelevant point.

While most parts of the film are kinda run-of-the-mill assassin formula, I think that's missing the big picture of the story, where a subservient guy enslaved by mundanity is forced to take control over his life for the first time. His motivation does get a little contrived when he suddenly declares his newfound purpose to avenge a father whom he never saw since he was a baby. Furthermore, the training sessions did drag the film's pace down a little bit, taking longer to make the film's point than it is necessary. But aside from those points, there lies a nice coming of age story about a man coming into his own. Angelina Jolie provides enough nuance in her performance to give Fox a contrasting personality from Wesley (James McAvoy); Fox relinquishes to her fate, while Wesley seizes his destiny. The fact that Wesley breaks the fourth wall at the end, asking the audience what the f*** we've been doing with our lives was both amusing and thought-provoking.

The action overall isn't too bad, though I liked it more in the first act than the rest of the movie, particularly the scene where Fox first picks Wesley up in her car by 'curving' the vehicle. It had a very intense and adrenaline-fueled pace that I wish had permeated the rest of the film, given that it's about assassins with adrenaline powers. Most of the 'curving' stunts used in the film left me gasping as they were very impressive, including the one where Wesley curves his car 180 degrees over another car beneath him, assassinating his target in the process.

★★★★
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I saw this in college and had a really good time with it, even if it is pretty crazy and kinda dumb. For example, that closing line is, to me, one of those things that edgy teenagers say to mess with people wrapped up in "the system" without really understanding what the system is, or why people might be wrapped up in it. But if the punk ethos on display here didn't quite work in its seemingly intended way, it did work as an almost unwitting satire of the surface-level things in something like Fight Club. Because Wanted is so far over-the-top, it circles around self-importance and gets back to cheap thrills that are quite thrilling and makes the story pretty fun in its absurdity. Morgan Freeman is having himself a time, and I still say "Shoot this motherCINECAST!er!" Oh, and the rest of that scene in the library or whatever that that line comes from is similarly hilarious and awesome. It is not a great movie, but it is a pretty great time at the movies, if that makes sense.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
It is not a great movie, but it is a pretty great time at the movies, if that makes sense.

Yeah, it makes sense. With the kind of material Bekmambetov had to work with (requiring Millar's approval of the script no less), it's pretty impressive that he still managed to capture the essence of the comic and made it more tasteful, and perhaps even a little inspiring. Its intent to disparage the average life of a working man might not be very intelligent, but it's an effective escapism that one could enjoy just for the sake of having a two hour fantasy.

Also, yes, Morgan Freeman was quite fun to watch. That line you quoted made him seem like he was almost imitating Sam Jackson.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:14:04 AM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
Huh! I didn't know that Millar had script approval. That's, um, unfortunate. I do love The Loom of Fate, which I understand is not in the comic. I kind of think that it speaks well of him to let that slide. You're right, too. The escapism is strong with this one. If only it didn't feel like it had to put down the people doing the escaping, it'd be a much stronger movie (there I go again, making up a movie in my mind).

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Huh! I didn't know that Millar had script approval. That's, um, unfortunate. I do love The Loom of Fate, which I understand is not in the comic. I kind of think that it speaks well of him to let that slide. You're right, too. The escapism is strong with this one. If only it didn't feel like it had to put down the people doing the escaping, it'd be a much stronger movie (there I go again, making up a movie in my mind).

I liked the Loom of Fate too. I think it made the film stronger and gave Fox a spiritual side that importantly contrasts with Wesley's later ideals and philosophies. The Fraternity irresponsibly submitted their kills to fate, but Wesley isn't exactly a saint either when he goes against fate to take control of his destiny. It is an interesting contrast.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
I love that that's what you like about the Loom of Fate. It is an interesting idea, I think, and I could have liked a movie that included it a lot on its own merits if it was more my style. I like the Loom of Fate from an absurdist standpoint. It's hilarious to me. Even the title! Loom of Fate! Ha! I would say you're reading too much into the ideas behind it and the other characters, but that's also something I've been accused of with something like Prometheus, so instead I'll just say that I think it's a sign of an interesting movie when two people can have two different perceptions of a movie or an element in a movie and still come to the same conclusion. I'd probably even rate the movie the same as you did here. Timmy B must be doing something right.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
I love that that's what you like about the Loom of Fate. It is an interesting idea, I think, and I could have liked a movie that included it a lot on its own merits if it was more my style. I like the Loom of Fate from an absurdist standpoint. It's hilarious to me. Even the title! Loom of Fate! Ha! I would say you're reading too much into the ideas behind it and the other characters, but that's also something I've been accused of with something like Prometheus, so instead I'll just say that I think it's a sign of an interesting movie when two people can have two different perceptions of a movie or an element in a movie and still come to the same conclusion. I'd probably even rate the movie the same as you did here. Timmy B must be doing something right.

Haha, I know what you mean. I agree that I am reading too much into a movie based on a Mark Millar comic book, but at the same time, I can't deny the perception I got out of the movie and its characters, which is, like you said, very interesting how we can have two different perceptions about the same movie while coming to the same conclusion. I've often said that film is very subjective, and this is definitely one of those cases.

I think you're right about including it on its own merits. To be honest, I could understand how the absurdist style can be off-putting to others (the absurd nature of superheroes, for example). It says a lot about how important the kind of style you choose for a movie is, as it might either engage the audience or put them off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:56:06 PM by Hermit »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:33 AM »
I saw this in college and had a really good time with it, even if it is pretty crazy and kinda dumb. For example, that closing line is, to me, one of those things that edgy teenagers say to mess with people wrapped up in "the system" without really understanding what the system is, or why people might be wrapped up in it. But if the punk ethos on display here didn't quite work in its seemingly intended way, it did work as an almost unwitting satire of the surface-level things in something like Fight Club. Because Wanted is so far over-the-top, it circles around self-importance and gets back to cheap thrills that are quite thrilling and makes the story pretty fun in its absurdity. Morgan Freeman is having himself a time, and I still say "Shoot this motherCINECAST!er!" Oh, and the rest of that scene in the library or whatever that that line comes from is similarly hilarious and awesome. It is not a great movie, but it is a pretty great time at the movies, if that makes sense.

I get that edgy teenager point. How old have I become ?

I agree that the movie is good fun but the loom of destiny thing (and this is me not having read the graphic novel) was a tad too preposterous even for this film.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/