Author Topic: December 2012 MDC: DOCember  (Read 7035 times)

JokerXgg

• I'm the best mang, I diiiid it
    • Kaboochi
Re: December 2012 MDC: DOCember
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Peaceful Anarchy shall watch Grizzly Man

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:58:56 AM by JokerXgg »
My signature is such beauty

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:03 PM »
Your poster is for Grizzly Man, but I've seen both it and The Gleaners and I already.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »
The Grizzlies and I...

toro913

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
Antares is watching.

JokerXgg

• Kaboochi
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
peacefulanarchist watch Senna

JokerXgg

• Kaboochi
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
The Grizzlies and I...

i laugh every time i read this

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
Senna 8.5/10
Despite the ridiculously good reviews this has gotten I've put it off because I don't much care about car racing. I still don't, but it certainly made me care about Senna, and the impact of his career both on the sport and outside it. The looming spectre of his fatal crash does hang over the film, but his career seems to be tailor made for a movie. The steady progress to victory, the struggles and setbacks to be overcome, the joys of success and frustrations of defeat. It's a fascinating subject and the film takes full advantage of it. It helps that so much raw footage is available, so we can see things like private drivers meetings, in car racing video, and candid interviews from him and others done before his death. While the film does have an elegiac tone, particularly when it comes to his impact on Brazil, it has enough sincerity that it still feels like an accurate portrait of a man and phenomenon.

toro913

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
Titicut Follies (dir. Frederick Wiseman)

I find cinema verite an approach that is really hard to CINECAST! up, the baseline is pretty high, but trying to go above and beyond it has more to do with my inherent interest of the topic than the filmmaking. They make great portraits of an era, the other prominent one I've seen is Salesman and I feel nearly the same about both. In this case I'm just too jaded or calous or learned or whatever descriptions applies to be shocked by the state of mental health care that is depicted (my useless B.Sc in Psych has long ago impressed this on me). Still there are a bunch of standout charaters (the raving yet oddly understanble conspiracy nut, the very honest pedophile, the weirdly-accented and not very professional doctor) that keep things a bit focused while you get a fly on the wall look at this place. I feel that I would have benefited more from a bureauractic view of this, which the film gives you a bit of, but not enough. 7/10

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »
Capturing the Friedmans (2003) 82/100 - This was a strange documentary to grab a hold of. On the one hand, it's interesting to watch this family come apart at the seams, but when all is said and done, I'm not happy with myself for feeling sorry for a pedophile. All the while I was watching this, I felt that this was police procedure run amok and these two people were being persecuted in the wake of the famous McMartin Pre-school hysteria that was sweeping the country back in the late 80's. But then, Arnold admits to fondling a couple of boys, and it's like being slapped across the face. Even more bizarre is the man who was one of the witnesses against the duo, who is interviewed while lazing on a couch in his home. This guy was obviously milking this for all he could and his scenes are the most frustrating to watch. I really don't have much more to say on this film, I felt like I needed a shower after watching it.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
That's quite similar to my own review (and much more concise.)

love