Author Topic: 1SO's Screenwriting Adventure  (Read 32518 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO's Screenwriting Adventure
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
There's an annoying part of the process that usually occurs right now that so far it appears I've avoided. Before writing the script I turned in my treatment. Basically a bunch of story ideas on paper with a plan of how I'm going to get from A to Z. It's the script as a (in this case) 7 page story. Some people just do bullet points or notecards. Some do a very thorough almost mini-novel of about 45 pages. The producer knows exactly what I'm going to write. Then I turn in the script and they don't like it because it lacks surprise. This has happened a couple of times. It's certainly possible that they simply didn't like the script and this is a great all-purpose rejection, but it's a ridiculous note. I'm not going to surprise someone that's already read a full spoiler version of the story.

I was preparing for it here because the film is a thriller with a couple of twists that I wrote about in the treatment. These aren't huge twists you never see coming. In fact, I wouldn't call the script a mystery because that implies there's something to be solved. (While writing I was misdirecting at every opportunity.) I was expecting the note about making the killer someone else to throw the audience or (*gulp*) have it all exist in the mind of the lead character. That has not been the case.

While I'm talking about the Treatment, I'll add that the script doesn't match the Treatment to the letter. While writing, I come up with other ideas or I discover that things I planned on using don't work. There's a lot of room to let the creativity flow, and if I notice I'm moving too far from the spine, the treatment pulls me back to the main path.

@Lobby
The Jeff Goldsmith Podcast is a favorite of mine too. Living in L.A., I can get invited to these free screenings. So far I've only been able to attend 2. One was my worst film of the year (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) the other was my best (The Artist). Wish I could've gone to the Tony Scott tribute with Tarantino and Richard Kelly. That was a great episode. And you so right about listening to the ones from films you won't see. One of my favorites episodes is with the writer of Good Luck Chuck. Man he got screwed.

@Sam
Been trying to think of visual scripts I've read. I remember The Matrix, but that was so hard for people to grasp they ended up making it into a comic book so Joel Silver could see it. The Brazil script is pretty fascinating to read. I also liked the one for The Fifth Element, which gave a feel for the futuristic world without going into too much detail. I wish the Ink script was online.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:45:13 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Spoke with Producer today. He called Manager and prepared him. Told him the script was written but that we'd be making some adjustments first. I asked what was said when the Manager naturally asked "Is the script any good?" Producer said that there's a lot of talking. Too much dialogue, but "the nuts and bolts are there." He warned me that Manager is very sharp at finding the problems in a script. We have to get it as good as we can because he'll find small stitches out of place and pokes a hole right through.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:40:41 PM by 1SO »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
Sounds like The Manager is a personification of the internet this year. Good luck with that!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
What a wonderful thread. How lucky we are to take this proxy trip through screenwriting, and with such a talented guide. 

Congratulations on making it this far; and here's hoping your script comes out of this grueling process intact enough so as to still make you proud.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:36 AM »
What an achievement 1SO. Good luck with the next stages, I look forward to following this script progress its way through to the finished product, and even better yet a chance to see the finished product.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:22 AM »
May I echo everyone's congratulations and wish you all the best as you continue in this process, 1SO! Very cool stuff. Thanks so much for giving us a window into your world - I'll keep reading this thread!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
Smallest of updates. Producer told me he plans to read the script again, with a pen this time. Making notes and circling things he thinks doesn't work. Tells me this won't be a fine tooth comb analysis with dialogue changes, just fixing the big things that irk him before it gets passed on. So now I wait for an email that this is complete, hopefully before the New Year.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
Any idea how many scripts such a producer might be reading / working with a writer on at any given time? I feel like that's a part of the movie-making business that I rarely hear talked about, it makes me curious what a producers day-to-day job is like.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
Great question. I know it varies based on the level of success of the producer. Someone like Scott Rudin has an army of readers on both coasts. They read practically everything and filter out the crap. I imagine a script has gone through at least 2 readers before Rudin will take a look at it.

I had a deal with a horror production company years ago. They were developing 5 films, the first of which was ready to go. I worked like hell to be next in line, and they liked the script. (It remains one of the 3 best scripts I ever wrote.) They wanted me to be 3rd in line even though they were still working out the story for film 2. The first film was such a disaster they ended up losing financing for the other films.

I know my current Producer is working on at least 1 other project. Something where the writer and him are still trying to get the story right. They were working on it before I even pitched my idea. So I take a little pride in going from pitch to Treatment to 1st Draft while the other project is still figuring out the story. I know the other film is a pet project for the Producer while my script is just something he thought was a good idea for a movie. I believe if he had two scripts and could only finance one of them, my script would not be going ahead.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
Got a message from The Producer today. A lot more notes. He's going to go through the script one more time and then we'll meet up. In the meantime, I've learned a lot more about the progression of dementia, the staff roles at a retirement home and the difference between Nursing Home, Assisted Living and Intermediate Care Facilities. So I'm excited to do a smarter rewrite myself, but I'm going to wait for the notes.

love