Author Topic: This is the West, sir.  (Read 23819 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: This is the West, sir.
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
The Cowboys

Worst tag lines ever. I won't post them here, but I guess anything said, could be construed badly.

Well, it's the music that brought me to this movie and I can see why John Williams' The Cowboys is played everywhere, from to . A definite highlight for me (listen to the second link :) ). Then again, one of my first albums I ever purchased was E.T. I have a soft spot in my heart for Mr. Williams.

I'm also pleased to say that there is much more than the music to recommend The Cowboys. John Wayne and Roscoe Lee Browne are so watchable. Their different cadences make each conversation engaging and I would have liked more of that. I wish I could pass the baton to a guy at this point, because I'm an outsider looking in to a story of the transition between boys and men.  The closest I can relate to it is, with five brothers, I had to learn to throw, catch and run well to be allowed to tag along, but it's not the same. It wasn't expected of me, I just wanted to be with them. From my limited perspective, I'm impressed with the film. Trying to see this through a young teenage boy's eyes, I think I would have learned a thing or two. Heck, from my eyes, it's taught me plenty.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:59:54 PM by Sandy »
"I'm a new day rising."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
Last Saturday I pre-watched The Cowboys for Mrs. 1SO because I heard she would only enjoy it up to a certain point. Wayne and John Wayne and Browne are good, but I was thoroughly bored by the kids and Bruce Dern was a drool away from being a cartoon. It just didn't have any pep in its step. Not even some good Wayne comebacks. After it got to that scene, I just stopped watching. I don't remember how many and which John Wayne's your watching, but this is one that doesn't ride tall in the saddle.

As for the tagline I think it's a split decision. I like "All they wanted was their chance to be men...and he gave it to them." As for the other one... it's horrible all right.

Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »
Horrible!

Bruce Dern was definitely as you say. I liked the kids. I also liked that it wasn't typical "Disney" fare. Most of those stories don't have much in the way of stakes, but this one gave the audience credit for being able to deal with somber things. One of the big benefits of this marathon so far is watching John Wayne, even in this lower key role. I'm really looking forward to what else is out there.
"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »
Winchester '73

[Completely Spoilery]

Deathly Hallows: Western Style

So the McAdams brother, who was a combative man, asked for a Winchester more powerful than any in existence: a rifle that must always win showdowns for its owner, a weapon worthy of a cowboy who had conquered Death! So Marshall Wyatt Earp held a contest out on the main street of Dodge City, tossing a hollow coin high in the air, fashioned with a postage stamp, to reward The Winchester '73 to the one who could shoot clean through.

Then Marshal Earp stood aside and allowed the winners and losers to continue on their way, and they did so talking with wonder of the adventure they had had and admiring McAdams' prize. In due course they separated, each for his own destination. But one loser stayed behind and through use of cunning, swiped that Winchester right out from underneath the K.O.'d winner.

He traveled on for a day more, and reaching a distant village, sought out a fellow cowboy with whom he had a quarrel and lost the rifle in a game of poker, who then lost it and his scalp to an Indian. Naturally, with the Winchester at stake, the loser at cards could not fail to win back the powerful weapon in the pursuit that followed. Leaving his enemy dead upon the campfire the man proceeded to an inn, where he boasted loudly of the powerful Winchester he had snatched from McAdam himself, and of how it made him invincible.

That very night, McAdams crept upon the man as he lay hidden in the rock crevices, and shot him, by use of strategy and sent him over a cliff for good measure.

And so McAdams took the Winchester '73 for his own, which was his in the first place.

“That Winchester's more trouble than it’s worth,” said McAdams. “And quite honestly,” he turned away from the hitching post, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in his room above the saloon, and wondering whether High Spade might bring him a sandwich there, “I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime.” ― A. Mann Rowling, Harry McAdam Potter and the Deathly '73 Hallows
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:11:42 PM by Sandy »
"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
The Cowboy and the Lady

Well, there is a cowboy and he works at a rodeo for a spell, but his heart is in Montana, where his ranch is. When he does get back there, 30 seconds of token cattle wrangling is all we get. The rest of the movie is light comedy, conversations to convey conflict, longing looks with lots of closeups (which is good, since Gary Cooper and Merle Oberon are pretty people), and the perfect scene roujin introduced me too. So perfect, that it carried me through the whole movie.

"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
Canyon Passage

Beautiful. After all the sun and sand, the cool of the trees, mountains and lakes are a sight for sore eyes. They, along with , lull me into a false sense of tranquility. So much so, that it takes a few jolts to realize I'm not sure what I'm experiencing anymore. Is this the same movie I started out with? I sit up and start to take stock of the situation. This isn't a light, romantic dramedy after all. People are getting hurt and worse. Words like answerability and allegiance vie for my attention and demand scrutiny, but it's all happening so quickly and I'm still rubbing the repose out of my eyes. I can't discern if it all took an unfair shortcut. It's possible that I forgot an important Buellerism, "Yep, I said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." and it's a matter of me needing to get up to speed. Strange thing is, at the end credits, all is light and airy again. It's as if a cool rain has washed away the upheaval, leaving me back at square one and making me question what I had seen. A trick of the dappled light perhaps.

I highly recommend reading 1SO's Canyon Passage review.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:54:05 PM by Sandy »
"I'm a new day rising."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
Wow yeah, I can see what you mean!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Some nice reading there.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
Wow yeah, I can see what you mean!

I'm still not sure what I experienced. :)

Some nice reading there.

roujin! Thank you so much for my last two movies. Your recommendations are always top-notch!
"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »
My Darling Clementine

I'm gonna be around here for a while. Can't tell. Maybe when we leave this country young kids like you will be able to grow up and live safe.

Whatever I was going to write about, doesn't seem important anymore. All I can think about now is the look on Wyatt Earp's face when he declares he's taking the job of Marshall, and even more indelible, the look on his face when meeting the men who killed his young brother;

overwhelming grief mixed with the ability to hold it all together, until he can pursue them in the correct manner. He carries this demeanor throughout the story, precise and measured, as he pursues his goal. Don't let the kicked back porch sitting fool ya. He's working. It carries over to non Marshall duties as well. I've never seen such quietly focused solicitousness, as upon Clementine's arrival. Never overstepping his place, but watching every move, he observes her story unfold.

Seeing this film once is not enough. It's so full of wonderful little details: tops of hats saturated with rain, stagecoach dust choking the screen, men lined up at the bar just so..., that I want my own copy for further perusal. It has a very good chance of knocking Shane further down my top 100.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:27:00 PM by Sandy »
"I'm a new day rising."