love

Author Topic: January 2013 MDC: Filmspots  (Read 7414 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: January 2013 MDC: Filmspots
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
Peaceful Anarchy will be watching:

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
Antares will be watching Searching For Sugar Man, for consideration in the documentary, debut and soundtrack categories. Also potentially a dramatic scene.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
As I told Adam when I pm'd him about this months category, I don't watch a lot of new films and I don't participate in the Filmspots because of this. But, of the films from 2012 that I did see, I did like this one and Corndog will be watching...

Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
Totoro will be watching Jiro Dream of Sushi. FYC in the category of Best Documentary:
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
Anybody want to double up with FLY?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
If not I'll just give priority to what is getting dictated here.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
FLY, because of your hesitation, I dictate to you this really fun film:

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
Bondo is watching The Imposter.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
Going to be a 'quick one' I reckon.

ParaNorman

I really like this type of aesthetic, naturally because it all recalls tNBC and Coraline and all that stuff, but I think there are more colors that go on here which is kind of pretty dank. It was pretty refreshing to watch this after watching The Pirates a few days ago, though I have to imagine that if the two were combined they would have made for the best animated film in a while. So much of the ParaNorman stuff seems to be going on in front of me (and the pace is pretty relentless in that sense, I mean take some time to breathe, brah) while the majority of enjoyment from The Pirates came in all the little background and set dressings.

But yeah, this movie is pretty fun. It even has a heart as well. I know what it's like to not fit in, to always feel like we're on the sidelines just trying to live life, accept ourselves, whoever that might be. Some say FLY still needs accepting, or something. Oh yeah, it also had a bit of a Gravity Falls feel as well, so that was definitely pretty cool. The beginning of the film is pretty slick, and the third act is pretty CINECAST!ing sick. The middle is where it drags a bit, but it's cool to hear Mintz-Plasse do his thing and Goodman and Garlin to do their thaaaaang so I guess I could take it because it clips along so nicely. Oh yeah, and that final confrontation is damn beautiful. It is, as some would say, the dankest of the dank. I'm surprised it hasn't been FYC'd for anything.

Seems like it channels this older horror vibe as well (someone more well versed would know what era, it seems fairly removed from what Timmy was recalling in Frankenweenie though, so not like all those Bela Lugosi times), though I'm not sure how much it commits to it throughout. I sensed a character design disconnect from what is shown on all the posters and in the credits sequence and how the people are actually created in the film. There's this pretty dank scene that takes place in a bathroom too. I guess the most interesting parts happen when the actual environment is being manipulated, it contributes to the sense of unease established throughout.

So yeah, pretty good. Really good, maybe. I liked the heart. It will make my ballot in all likelihood. Seems to have a firm grasp on the fourth spot, though I have a few more animated things I would like to get through before whenever ballots are due.

Oh yeah, it's pretty funny too. I'm surprised it didn't catch some right-winged media fire for a joke at the end being sneaked in to a film marketed to younger children though, not that I minded at all. Was a good bit of subversion. A lot of the film seems to be about subversion, there's actually a decent bit of thematic weight to the ideas it explores. It doesn't talk down. I think that's kind of what most of the best animated films do this year, take hefty ideas, package them, and don't sugarcoat them (even when they are sugarcoated. I'm going to use that line if I ever write about WIR, I think). Frankenweenie mostly does that too, though it's tougher to swallow the ending I reckon. The entirety of that film is so good though, I try not to let that get in the way all that much.

But yeah, this is a rather good film. The quantity hasn't been there for animation, but the quality has I reckon. And that's without even checking out the minor releases like Hotel Transylvania and stuff. In the end I guess Arrietty did work well to set that tone.

I'm ready for the next dictation (the turnaround will be a lot slower though, I imagine, especially if it's a doc since I'm not voting in the prelims for that aside from Indie Game. Foreign things too, but generally those are more scary if they breach the 2 hour mark, as most films scare me when they do because it's hard to keep a 'controlled environment' for that long even though FLY is still young and doesn't run a house or anything) if anyone else wants to go. Filmspot fever in full effect. Thanks oldkid.

****/*****

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »
I kind of wanted to see ParaNorman when it first came out. But I wonder how much of that had to do with the use of a Donovan song in the trailer. I should probably see it anyway, huh?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love