love

Author Topic: January 2013 MDC: Filmspots  (Read 7424 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: January 2013 MDC: Filmspots
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
It's a lot of fun, CD, and it has some good characters.  You should take the time to watch it.

Thanks for the review, FLY.  Glad you enjoyed it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Totoro

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Oldkid will be watching...

Hug your kids afterwards. :')

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
What a surprise!  I can't wait!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »
I just watched that last night. Really enjoyed it, I hope you do too oldkid!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Totoro

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »

JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI (David Gelb, 2012)
82 minutes of a small group of people praising the titular main man is what Jiro Dreams of Sushi is mainly about. He loves his job, he is crazy obsessed with doing the same thing every day, he is the best at his job, etc. The film is shallow in this regard, but it is what I come to expect from movies about artists - we see their struggles, we see their demons, and we become inspired by their dedication. Rarely, if ever, do the films get deep in the trenches about the character. I wonder if the documentarians sought out Jiro or if Jiro sought out the documentarians. I would be more convinced of the latter because certain things seem to be omitted. We hear all about Jiro and his sons, but his wife barely has any mention at all. Aesthetically speaking, the documentary is perfect. The scenes where Jiro makes sushi are beautiful not only because you know how much work goes into it, but because the Philip Glass' score lifts you up to a truly transcendent place. These scenes are a perfect blend of imagery and music. They make the movie! There is also something to be said about the domineering attitude of Jiro that has restricted his sons to living forever in his shadow. The film only gives you scraps of this though. I think the key to the manipulation that Jiro imposes his sons is when he says that he had always planned for his sons to take over the business. Perhaps that is why he neglected them as children? It was all part of his big plan? The fact that the film only skims the surface on this issue acts in and of itself as a synecdoche.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:10 AM »
Thanks you made me go look up what synecdoche actually means. Appropriate use of the right word. Full marks.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Totoro

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
Thanks you made me go look up what synecdoche actually means. Appropriate use of the right word. Full marks.

8)

I was second guessing it too, lol.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
I get that interpretation. Totally understandable. Thanks for checking it out tho!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (John Madden, 2012) -

The best response I can muster for this one, the best way to describe my experience with the film is "pleasant". That is exactly what this film is. I am not an elderly person looking for the answers after a long and unfulfilled life, but I don't have to be old, that's the beauty of being human. It tackles those universal things and does so not in a groundbreaking way, or even a phenomenal way, but again I go back to that word, "pleasant". We get pleasant characters played quite easily by the grade A cast which includes Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Tom Wilkinson. Each has their story which contains merits, none are miraculous, but none of them phone it in, not even close. The Wilkinson character was probably the best, but they are all painted fairly, even the young Indian couple (half of which is Dev Patel). We get nice scenery, nice characters, a nice storyline, all of which culminates in a very enjoyable and pleasant viewing experience. I cannot say I have much to say in the negative on this one. It's one fault is that it feels slight, but every once and a while, I like to just escape under the umbrella of simple and enjoyable.

*** - Very Good

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (John Madden, 2012) -

The best response I can muster for this one, the best way to describe my experience with the film is "pleasant".

I would use the same word and ain't nothing wrong with that.