Author Topic: The Best Thing We've Read All Year {2012 Edition}  (Read 4359 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: The Best Thing We've Read All Year {2012 Edition}
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
I'm still working on Great Expectations, hope to finish soon.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Devil

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
I fell way behind on reading this past year and mean to catch up big time this coming one.

I'd say my favourite was A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin(I can't remember if I read A Clash of Kings last year or the one before or i'd include it as well) followed by War by Candlelight by Daniel Alarcón
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »
A Tale of Two Cities double take was something I planned (the ebook is out there, cheap as chips). Book and the Ronald Colman film. I should probably look for something of Dickens I haven't read like David Copperfield or Bleak House. Less sci-fi, more noir; having read something that gave me ideas for authors I haven't read; Ross MacDonald, Chester Himes, Charles Willeford & Richard Stark look good.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:50:57 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
The best book I read is probably Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It's kind of amazing.

Still working on it (there are a lot of clouds in that particular atlas); but yes, so far, it is kind of amazing.

And you?

Bukowski's FACTOTUM, thanks for asking.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
I joined Goodreads a few months ago

if you want to friend me
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Fiction: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

I may have been a latecomer to this book, but I usually avoid novels on the Bible because of their wild inaccuracy, both culturally and theologically.  This book is spot on, recognizing the acceptance of middle eastern paganism by the early patriarchs and the separate cultural worlds of men and women.  The characters are breathtaking and fascinating.  A wonderful fresh reading of Genesis, unlike any I have read.

Non-fiction: The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
I am a big fan of thoughtful books on ethics, and this is one of the few that gave me something to think about, as well as explaining some of the moral arguments used in religion and politics.  A great find for me, but it's my cup of tea.

Book I haven't finished yet: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Great science writing on the brain.  There's a lot there and I can't seem to finish it in the three weeks I have from the library.  But every time I pick it up I learn something fascinating and new.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love