love

Author Topic: Books Read in 2013  (Read 8737 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Books Read in 2013
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »
Worst book of the year? "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson.....techno-tosh. I nearly finished it, but then I threw it somewhere.

Every time I've tried to read a book by Stephenson I feel like I must not have been paying enough attention in school, cause I just don't get it.

Did Moonshine War do anything for you?
I loved Moonshine War. It made me realise that Leonard male archetype probably reaches way back into his westerns because he has it worked out completely in this early crime story. He went back to writing G-man type stories late in his life. What a writer. I might be able to see the better vocabulary in Greene or the social epic nature of Zola or how clever Burgess might be with his slang in ACO, but Leonard just writes people so easily.

In the end "Snow Crash" made me think "I don't care".
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
You're right verbALs, those covers are great. I like The Outfit the most. Did you have to pick the 3 roughest ones as your top 3?! Sheesh, I don't think I can go there at this juncture. :D Maybe at some point I'll have enough fortitude to check them out.
Yeah where's my "Babel-17" book report. Stay behind after class young lady. In fact, did you ever finish "Ender's Game"?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
 :))

Busted!

I've been lost in the swamps of Macondo, but will emerge soon. Okay, for self-reminder purposes I'll put my list, in order, here:

Books I shoulda read in 2013, but will get there eventually.

One Hundred Years of Solitude
Babel-17
Angels and Demons
Ender's Game

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »
Goodreads sent me a congratulations you have read 23 books this year e-mail. I like Goodreads.

I got the same email yesterday. Congratulations you have read 3 books this year. 3 Is that all? 3 piddling books!!! ??? Next year, read more books. That's new years resolution Nr 2.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
I'm on GoodReads but I never remember to use it.  I dunno how many books I read this year.  Probably 7 or 8 at the most.  I'm a slow reader.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
I got the same email yesterday. Congratulations you have read 3 books this year. 3 Is that all? 3 piddling books!!! ??? Next year, read more books. That's new years resolution Nr 2.

:))

Hey! I didn't get a congratulatory e-mail! I know I read something!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
I've wanted to read Germinal for a few years now.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
I'm not versed in French literature at all. It's lyrical and romantic even while it's dark and miserable. Challengingly miserable. And perverse. And horrifying. And hilarious. It's prophetic about the Russian revolution 40 years early. Highly bannable. CINECAST!ing exhausting.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
Books I shoulda read in 2013, but will get there eventually.

One Hundred Years of Solitude
Babel-17
Angels and Demons
Ender's Game

I think One Hundred Years Of Solitude is due for an audio release on Audible in the New Year, if that helps  :).

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
I think One Hundred Years Of Solitude is due for an audio release on Audible in the New Year, if that helps  :).

Now you tell me!

Actually the language and cadence is so fascinating, that it would be very cool to have someone read it to me.