Author Topic: Life changes since I came to the forum...  (Read 37173 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Life changes since I came to the forum...
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2020, 12:59:52 AM »
Or a priest.  ;D

Nothing wrong with being a priest...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »
I have been father roujin for the last six months.
That's an exciting life development! You feel comfortable enough to post a picture?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
I have been father roujin for the last six months.

I can’t decide whether I’m rooting for this post to be about parenthood or about priesthood.

Congrats either way. What one movie best sums up the experience so far?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
And don’t say Spotlight
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #336 on: September 20, 2020, 02:22:12 AM »
So when in crisis, make changes. I have been in the most dire place psychologically that I have been in since before I was diagnosed with Unspecified Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, two conditions that run mild-to-moderate depending on your treatment. So here are the life changes I'd like to share:

I have deleted all of my social media accounts except Letterboxd. Does this forum count as social media? If so, then there were two exceptions. I don't see myself every leaving here. This is the place I come to when I'm looking for decency - good, passionate back and forth - but always decency. And also, we mostly talk about my favorite thing, films.

Facebook, Instagram (I apparently had two accounts), and Twitter (which I rarely used anyway) are all gone. They just amplify the cruelty and sadness of the world. If I ever need to be part of a revolution, maybe I'll jump back on. Otherwise, worthless to me.

I'm also cancelling some political magazines I subscribe to and reducing my political intake via podcasts. It's not total withdrawal, and I certainly as hell will still be voting (D) in all upcoming elections, but I don't want to live in it anymore. Just a weekly 538 Politics podcast, and I'm subscribed to the Jacobin podcast as well. Beyond that, Filmspotting, Next Picture Show, and some sports podcasts.

I'm donating a living room's worth of things. One-by-one, I'm doing away with COVID-19 activities I've picked up, and have consolidated all of my personal belongings to two small bedrooms.

I'm taking a long-term break from video games, and will not be coming back to any multiplayer or online titles. I just want escape and adventure, where I persevere, and even if I have to suffer setbacks and deaths, I ultimately win.

I've joined a gym and will be going 30-60 minutes per night during the school year, weight training, cardio/fat burning, or a combo.

I may have some liver issues going on, so I have stopped eating all fast food but veggie subs from subway. I've also quit most caffeine and all alcohol. Getting an ultrasound on the liver sometime in the near future.

Reorienting myself toward priorities: Dad, the kids, the animals, the community I work in, and some healthy activities mixed with other low-stakes activities like watching and writing about movies, watching sports, and reading. Still want to learn to crochet, so we will see, but it's not at the top of my to do list. My to do list is short and starts with a bit of perspective on what human beings really are, what America really is, and learning to cope with constant disappointment, voting for and being lead by people I mostly despise, and eventually emerge with some level of OK-ness.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:08:50 AM by etdoesgood »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #337 on: September 20, 2020, 04:08:32 AM »
Good luck with the wholesale changes, works better than baby steps sometimes. Just chuck it all and start anew. My best...
Texan Down Under

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
Ten years ago, yesterday, I found this forum. Never having joined a forum before, or written about film, I was a nervous about being here, but everyone was welcoming and the games thread gave me a place to participate until I got up enough courage to write a review.

Grand Hotel

<-- This is the avatar I used when I came here, so returned to it this year to look back and contemplate on the past decade.

Life changes since I came to the forum:

I left:
A political party
A religion
A marriage (in the process of)

I gained:
More schooling
Mentoring opportunities
My voice

and I give a lot of credit to the time I've spent here, allowing myself to change, by friendships found here and by processing film through writing.

Thanks filmspotting community. <3

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2021, 12:58:19 PM »
Sandy, that's huge. I'm so glad I got to know you thru this medium and I'm even more glad that it seems to have helped you figure some things out and find some great movies!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love