Author Topic: Greatest Living Actor Relay Race  (Read 27334 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Greatest Living Actor Relay Race
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Again, based on an idea from My Film Views, but where that encompassed all actors, I am limiting it to those who have not retired - Looking at you Gene Hackman - and I am combining actors and actresses into one list.

At the end of the post you, just like in a real relay race, hand over the baton to another spotter who has not gone yet. They will have to remove one actor (that is an obligation) and add his/her own choice and describe why he/she did this. At the end the Spotter chooses another Spotter to do the same.

The Top Ten Actors Working Today
Cate Blanchett
Daniel Day-Lewis
Robert Duvall
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Samuel L. Jackson
Al Pacino
Meryl Streep
Tilda Swinton
Kate Winslet

As for who should be next, I'm going with Antares, who didn't get a chance at the Director Relay Race.

Antares
oldkid
Totoro
verbALs
WillMunny
Lobby
Sandy
Junior
Bondo
GothamCity151
ses
Sam the Cinema Snob
FLYmeatwad
Dave the Necrobumper
sdb_1970
oneaprilday
sdedalus
flieger
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:13:50 AM by 1SO »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Greatest Living Actor Relay Race
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
I'm glad we're doing this again.  It was fun.

New motto: Don't hand the baton to Keith!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
This sounds like fun.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
If I had to remove one of the actors listed, it would have to be Al Pacino. His best work was definitely in the past. I can't think of one role that's been stellar in since his tandem film offerings, The Insider and Donnie Brasco, and both of those were in the late 90's. I did like him as Shylock in the The Merchant of Venice from 2004, but it wasn't anything special.

As to his replacemet... I had a really hard time coming up with one, because every person I would have selected is already on this list. But then it hit me, I've yet to see a bad performance from Javier Bardem. Even in somewhat lackluster films such as Vicki Cristina Barcelona, Love in the Time of Cholera and Goya's Ghost, he's been the lone ray of sunshine, it what I considered lightweight films. He was outstanding in The Sea Inside, Biutiful, and No Country for Old Men, the latter which, won him an Oscar. Along side Daniel Day-Lewis and  Philip Seymour Hoffman, he's one of those rare actors today, whom I trust implicitly to find a good role and to make it his. I'll definitely see one of his films, just for his performance and that's not something I tend to do with other actors. Only the three I mentioned.

So Al Pacino is out and Javier Bardem is in. Here's the revised list...

Cate Blanchett
Daniel Day-Lewis
Robert Duvall
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Samuel L. Jackson
Al Pacino Javier Bardem
Meryl Streep
Tilda Swinton
Kate Winslet

I pass the baton to Oldkid
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I like your choice. Pacino wouldn't be my first to go because compared to de Niro and Dustin Hoffman I think he's still got fuel in the tank. Really curious to see what he does with Phil Spector. However, when you're wasting your talent shilling for Dunkin' Donuts you probably don't belong on a list of the greats.

As for Bardem, great pick. One I hadn't thought of but you're absolutely right. If Bardem and Day-Lewis did a buddy cop film it would automatically be a cinematic milestone, even if Brett Ratner directed it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
I agree with taking Pacino out.  His 70's work is phenomenal, but all of his most recent performances left me cold.  And JB is a great choice to replace him.

This is a tough list to crack, really.  Give me a day to think about this...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
Pacino wouldn't be my first to go because compared to de Niro and Dustin Hoffman I think he's still got fuel in the tank.

If you have not seen Silver Linings Playbook, it shows De Niro has quite a lot left in the tank.

Totoro

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »
Kate Winslet and Tilda Swinton, but no Michelle Williams or Juliette Binoche? Ehhhhh

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:39 AM »
Kate Winslet and Tilda Swinton, but no Michelle Williams or Juliette Binoche? Ehhhhh

Gives you some ideas on what to do when it's your turn.