Author Topic: How did you meet your significant other?  (Read 4772 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: How did you meet your significant other?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
And a few days later we got married at a court. I sent my mum a postcard: "I've got married. Guess to who".

Loved this part. Nice stories everybody!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
My significant other was doing a rotation (you "rotate" in 3 labs your first year of grad school to see which one you want to join for your thesis work) in my lab.  He was starting his graduate work when I was finishing up.  He pursued me relentlessly, no games, nothing, which was refreshing since he was 22, and that was unheard of, at least with my experience with 22 year old men.  I was 27, just out of 4 year relationship, trying to finish my PhD, and getting ready to move 300 miles away.  We hung out for about 3 months, but I made it clear that I was in no way looking for a relationship.  He told me he loved me, I told him that if only circumstances were different things might've worked out.

I moved, about a month later he came to visit.  I decided to give the relationship a shot (I was very gun shy about relationships at this point, given my past), so the distance thing worked for me.  It's been hard, but we are both busy, and we made it work.  Five years later we are engaged and getting ready to move to Denver together in about 3 months.  I never thought I would be one to have a long distance relationship, but if it's meant to be you find a way. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
True Romance Confidential: "I Married My Stalker!"

Awesome stories, ses and Lobby!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
Lovely stories of meetings and getting together. Here is a less romantic one. :)

I was 38 and had just got back from a 2 and a half month stint of world travel. With a couple of friends I went to a big arena dance party. As usually happened at those events we were separated, while wandering around in a very intoxicated state I passed a couple of women, near the main stage. One was giving the other a shoulder massage. I was feeling cheeky, so I asked for a shoulder massage. So there I was getting a shoulder massage from a woman who was getting a shoulder massage. Things go a little black, but the next thing I remember is being in the middle of a kiss with the woman who gave me the massage. 2 and a half years later we were married. My wife will still not tell me who started the kiss, and as we were both very intoxicated the details of how we meet will be left blurry for our child and child to be, until they are in there 20s or so, if ever.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:08:38 AM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
 :))

Dave! I couldn't have written a better scenario than that. I'm wearing the biggest smile right now!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
Thanks Sandy

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »
She picked me out of the catalogue.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
 ;D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Totoro

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
I'd met Erin a few times over the years because she was friends with my brother in college. She teases me that I don't really remember meeting her at first, and she's probably right.  Back in 2004 when I was 28 and she was 25, we hung out a few times with my brother and his wife when he was in town. I was planning to go to see The Magnetic Fields play, and knew she had similar music tastes.  I didn't have any thoughts of it going anywhere, but I e-mailed and asked if she wanted to go.  I'm not even sure why I did it, as I'm usually not the type to just ask people to concerts who I don't know that well.  We had a good time there and hung out a few more times, and before I knew it we were in a relationship. It was very easy and there wasn't the usual nervousness that normally would be there. This felt different.

Things pretty much rolled on from there. We got engaged in early 2006 and moved into an apartment together that summer. We got married in 2007, bought a house in 2008, and had our daughter Elise in 2009. We're getting ready to have our second girl in late March. Time has seriously flown by in the last nine years, and it's been awesome.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

love