love

Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31142 times)

corvaxmuzzy

Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
The Castle
Romper Stomper
Chopper
The Quest (aka "Frog Dreaming") ...as a kid...

The Q Filmcast

• I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue...
    • NETFLIX INSTANT : Reviews & Discussion
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
If you have NOT watched the Ted Kotcheff film "WAKE IN FRIGHT" from (1971), I can't recommend it enough!

Defines the best of Australian Cinema... It's currently streaming on NETFLIX here in the states. WATCH THIS FILM!

We recently reviewed this on our show. that what we do - we pull out films from NETFLIX INSTANT and let you know what we thought

Check it out  www.theqfilmcast.net
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:25:12 PM by The Q Filmcast »
The Q Filmcast is a weekly podcast and radio show featured on 107.1 in Nashville. Each week we take turns "Queuing" up a film from Netflix Instant for review with great discussion! Check us out www.theqfilmcast.net

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:11 PM »
If you have NOT watched the Ted Kotcheff film "WAKE IN FRIGHT" from (1971), I can't recommend it enough!

Defines the best of Australian Cinema... It's currently streaming on NETFLIX here in the states. WATCH THIS FILM!
Added to My List! Thanks!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
WAKE IN FRIGHT (1971)- Well, it feels intense, but for me never quite delivers.  I do love the music and Donald Pleasance is excellent (he was great in the HALLOWEEN series as Dr. Loomis!).   The kangaroo scenes are brutal and I think I'd prefer to have not known they were filmed live.  The most frightening part of the film is the thought that these things actually occurring.   Having spent a bit of time in the American south and a few interesting experiences in southern Alabama and around the college town of Auburn, I can only imagine being in a remote place like Australia with lots of booze and guns leading to bouts of insanity.  Not quite DELIVERANCE in the outback, but definitely eerie and something you won't forget. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
I'd be interested to know, colonel, what part doesn't deliver for you? To me, Wake in Fright is a masterpiece.

And I second the statement absolutely no one should miss seeing it while it's streaming on US Netflix, if they have the chance.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
I guess I just felt something looming that never happened, just a story of a guy on a bender in some out of the way town in Oz.  I guess in my mind (before viewing) I felt I was comparing it to something like DELIVERANCE so I probably am being unfair.  Just my opinion, I did love the music and Pleasance, and am very interested in Australian films.  My preference would be WALKABOUT over this, but just a personal preference. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
THE HUNTER- I really, really long to go visit my friend Russell in Tasmania, though I hope his pals are friendly to Americans than the Tassies found in this film.  The sheer beauty and mystery of that strange little island of Australia just amazes me and this film highlights much of it.  The story of the Tassie Tiger is really interesting too, again hitting a personal longing to take on my own personal search for this extinct creature.  The story of the movie, however, feels a little strange and the talk of cloning and the appearance of Sam Neill finds me thinking Jurassic Park in a really weird way.  Willem Dafoe delivers and I enjoyed his strangely meticulous character who scrubs a tub to enjoy a bath before embarking upon a rugged hunt.  Absolutely love little Morgana Davies, a few moments of her colorful dialogue and anyone can see why.  The ending I won't give away, but head scratching and unsettling selfish.  A recommend if only for the beauty of Tasmania.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
BAD BOY BUBBY Well, ok where to begin.  It's as if this was part RED DRAGON meets BEING THERE.  The guide to creating a sociopath is illustrated here and then finding the simpleness of Bubby to be innocence dressed up as insanity.  This film left me equally frightened, disgusted, and intrigued.   As Bubby becomes Pop you can see a transformation from darkness to light, but the pathway leading up to the light is horribly wretched.  At one moment when Pop joins the band I wondered if this was Nick Cave's life story :)  I doubt that I would ever watch this again, but it is undoubtedly imprinted in my mind in a frightfully endearing way. 

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »
Glad you liked (?) it. I can see how at the beginning it is "the guide to creating a sociopath", but Bubby's underlying character comes through once he escapes and has a chance to break out of the shell his mother created for him.

Have you seen Romper Stomper, another fun packed film from about the same time?

SmashTheTV

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
I am from New Zealand, so have pretty easy access to good Aussie films. I wish our films were as good as the Aussies.

Chopper
Wake in Fright
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Stone
Mad Max
Dogs In Space
Romper Stomper
The Proposition