Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31118 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Hi SmashTheTV, welcome to the forum, New Zealand has some great cinema:

UTU
The Quiet Earth
Once Were Warriors

and more recently

Eagle vs Shark was quite good

or what about
Whale Rider
or the films of Peter Jackson and Jane Campion

You did list some great Australian films though, if you liked Dogs In Space you should check out Pure Shit (1975), it has had a DVD release, but it still may be hard to find.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
Oh I am very proud of NZ films and have seen and enjoyed every movie you have mentioned. Especially UTU. Though im not to sure how they would go down with an international audience. For example Boy is my most favourite recent NZ film. But it is very very NZish if you know what I mean?

But I have always found Aussie films to be that much better. Will definitely try find some Pure Shit!

Other good NZ films:

Goodbye Pork Pie
Smash Palace (I think this would hold up internationally)
Black Sheep

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
Hey Davy I did see ROMPER STOMPER and enjoyed it!  Smash don't worry about what people outside NZ think, NZ films are cool, love EAGLE VS SHARK and BOY so much.  BLACK SHEEP was interestingly strange. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Oh I am very proud of NZ films and have seen and enjoyed every movie you have mentioned. Especially UTU. Though im not to sure how they would go down with an international audience. For example Boy is my most favourite recent NZ film. But it is very very NZish if you know what I mean?

But I have always found Aussie films to be that much better. Will definitely try find some Pure Shit!

Other good NZ films:

Goodbye Pork Pie
Smash Palace (I think this would hold up internationally)
Black Sheep

I still have not seen Boy, must get around to it. I have seen Goodbye Pork Pie, it was fun, and it has one of my all time favourite actors in it (Bruno Lawrence).

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
Hey Davy I did see ROMPER STOMPER and enjoyed it!  Smash don't worry about what people outside NZ think, NZ films are cool, love EAGLE VS SHARK and BOY so much.  BLACK SHEEP was interestingly strange.

I am glad you did, it seemed like a film to match your viewing tastes.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
Smash, you live in the most beautiful country!  Where in NZ?
Texan Down Under

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
STONE (1974)- What an interesting pulpy little film.  I enjoyed many of the scenes throughout the film like the funeral procession, the bike with the coffin in the sidecar groovy and the ear piercing with a syringe yikes!  A film that guys like Tarantino and Rodriguez would love, I'm surprised Danny Trejo didn't make an appearance!  Before Sons of Anarchy there were the Gravediggers!  What I found interesting was some of the philosophy expounded by the Gravediggers leader the Undertaker when he is discussing law and violence.  Not brilliant by any means, and the music I found to be just confusing at times, but something fun to watch for anyone who loves a good pulp fiction.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
GOODBYE PORK PIE (1981)- A New Zealand film!  The Blondini Gang in their little mini making their way across New Zealand raising havoc in the silliest manner possible. I love that our young Blondini wears a Pork Pie hat that resembles nothing like a pork pie hat lol.  The haircut of our female protag looked eerily similar to Elizabeth Shue in ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING, weird and attractive.  Some of the chase scenes echoed Malick's BADLANDS, but the kookiness of our characters is more akin to Groucho Marx playing in a tame CLOCKWORK ORANGE.   Tony Barry was really cool in this.  I've never heard of picking up gas station flags before, pretty interesting hobby.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Stone is low budget, but still managing to be interesting. Gravediggers is a great bikie group name.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
Smash, you live in the most beautiful country!  Where in NZ?

The North Shore of Auckland, I tried taking a photo of my neighborhood but it came out a bit dark.