Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31123 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
A CRY IN THE DARK 1988 (also known as EVIL ANGELS)- As a fan of Seinfeld I clearly remember the episode where Elaine invokes an Australian accent and says, "Maybe the dingo ate your baby" which was pretty funny even not understanding the context of the joke.  A CRY IN THE DARK is the movie the mis-quoted line is from starring Meryl Streep and Sam Neill as Lindy and Michael Chamberlain parents of the missing child Azaria Chamberlain who went missing at Ayers Rock and was said to have been carried off and killed by a dingo.  The correct line being "The dingo took my baby" is said many times as the movie unfolds the story of this horrifying situation.  Throughout the film the feel of witchhunt and mass hysteria became evident because the Chamberlains were members of an 'odd' religion and Lindy in particular was not likeable by the public.  Much like DEVIL'S KNOT (2013), the public outcry for someone being guilty because they are different and unlikeable permeates the entire film. Unlike DEVIL'S KNOT I was unfamiliar with the case and hadn't seen any documentaries or background pieces regarding this, so found the movie a bit more enjoyable than my experience with DK.  Sam Neill delivers a solid performance as Michael Chamberlain who is trying to hold onto his sanity by a thin thread and is finally pushed to and over his brink while on the stand.  Enjoyed this, though feel slightly guilty for smirking a bit when 'The dingo took my baby' line was being delivered.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
The Azaria Chamberlain case was huge here at the time and there was a strong sense around that a dingo would not have done such a thing, so therefore it must have been the parents. Lindy in particular. More recently sentiment has moved more to believe that a dingo took the baby. The film when it came out here was not popular, in particular because it was an American playing Lindy. There was talk of cultural cringe and such. Actually I should not say the film was not popular, because I am not certain that it correct, what I should say is there were many complaints about the film.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
DON'S PARTY 1976- Well, I suppose this film was trying to pose interesting thoughts on the banality of adult married life.  With the backdrop of an Australian election as a reason to get boozed up with friends we meet a group of friends having a party at Don's.  DON'S PARTY failed to interest me on any level probably because I have never married nor have anything much in common with the men who make up the guests attending the party.  I probably have missed the point trying to be made and with cultural differences in respect to men, women and relationships I failed to be intrigued.  I mostly felt sorry for everybody. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
 :-\ A comedy?

Sounds like a wilder version of Abigail's Party with just as much nastiness. How about a Man From Snowy River or Strictly Ballroom antidote? :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
:-\ A comedy?

Sounds like a wilder version of Abigail's Party with just as much nastiness. How about a Man From Snowy River or Strictly Ballroom antidote? :)

I could use one :)  Haven't seen MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
Oh! That's like a rite of Australian passage.  :D

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
A passage I have not passed.

Sorry to hear that Don's Party was a bust.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
A passage I have not passed.

:D

I should rephrase that.

An American teenage girl's rite of Australian passage.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2014, 01:55:35 AM »
Sandy, it was huge here as well, and also much bigger for women than men. Tom Burlinson was a big reason for this.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2014, 02:15:44 AM »
An American teenage girl's rite of Australian passage.
Indeed.

love