Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31124 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
So yea, has anyone watched this?

I'm trying to get a sense of it.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:55 AM »
Missed that one, sorry

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Oh! Howdy! I didn't expect to find this here! I check this thread like once every 2 months. I just happened to do it today because I was going to ask if anyone was familiar with the Australian mini-series Bordertown, but instead I get the pleasant surprise of a Quigley review! :))

:))

I wasn't sure if you ventured over to this neck of the woods, but it seemed fittin' to put the review here.

Laura San Giacomo delivers as well, both the light and the dark. I'd really like to see more of her work.
I'd love to hear about it if you see any.

I'll for sure let you know if I do.

Two other things that impress me a great deal with this movie--the excellent score
It really is excellent isn't it. It's the first thing you hear in the film I believe... over the opening credits. I swear, a good song to go with the opening credits endears me to a movie quicker and better than just about anything. It's kind of like "whoa now, what's this! Here we go! I'm loving this already!" It's all about fostering good will towards your movie... get the audience on board, charm them! Get them in a headspace to give your film the benefit of the doubt and stick with it. Quigley does that I think. :)

Ha! yes, so well said. I had heaps of good will towards the movie from the get go.

Ah, I believe you're referring to my review of Gun Glory (1957).

Yes! That was it.

It's funny, I'd just been thinking about this film recently having watched rewatched Buck. In Buck there's a whole sequence where Buck's friends and family attempt to keep own cow separated from the heard. They last 10 or 15 seconds and then the cow scampers 'round them. Then Buck does it and it's something else entirely. The level of control is astonishing. Anyways, Gun Glory has, if anything, an even MORE impressive display of horsemanship. I talk about that in the review as well. Watching Buck again made me wonder how many people and horses in the world could do something like that.

Buck goes directly to my watchlist! Gun Glory is on my Western marathon list, so I'm really looking forward to the guns and the horses!

A very strong western whose attention to small details pays big returns.

For instance, the sound of a gun fired in a wide canyon...  it should sound different than a gun fired in a closed cabin, am I wrong? Well I'm sorry to say that most westerns I've seen from '57 don't care about such things. Even the great ones. Gun Glory is an exception, and a very good one. It's only one scene, an it would've been easy for someone to say "eh, lets just use the sound effect from the last shootout", but they didn't. Instead they captured something real, distinct, and wonderful. They gave an entire scene a deep and affecting authenticity. The sound is unmistakable; after the initial concussion, an echo returns sounding like a whip crack. One other film I know of has captured this sound correctly: Tremors.

Listen for yourselves if you like: Gun Glory and Tremors.

That was a memorable review! I just couldn't remember which movie it went to. :D I read this the other day and it made me want to re-watch Quigley to take more notice.

Authenticity is everywhere in this movie, including the time it takes for a heavy 45 caliber bullet to travel 1,000 yards AND the fact that it gets there a noticeable few moments before the sound of the shot can be heard by the bad guy who's getting shot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
Buck goes directly to my watchlist! Gun Glory is on my Western marathon list, so I'm really looking forward to the guns and the horses!

What a cool double feature! I was thinking of rewatching GG myself. I'd love to tag along if you give me a few days notice. :)

I read this the other day and it made me want to re-watch Quigley to take more notice.

Authenticity is everywhere in this movie, including the time it takes for a heavy 45 caliber bullet to travel 1,000 yards AND the fact that it gets there a noticeable few moments before the sound of the shot can be heard by the bad guy who's getting shot!

Look at that, details making the difference. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
Quote from: smirnoff link=topic=11831.msg783267#msg783267

What a cool double feature! I was thinking of rewatching GG myself. I'd love to tag along if you give me a few days notice. :)

That would be so great! :) It's not at my library, so I was going to order it from Amazon.com and will let you know when it arrives. Can't wait to see the equine choreography!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
TRACKS 2013-  The beauty and rugged splendor that is Australia is wonderfully showcased in this story about real life Robyn Davidson and her camel journey across the Oz desert to the Indian Ocean.  Mia Wasikowska is excellent and portrays the odd, but likeable, strange, but determined Davidson as she endures the brutal near-2000 mile journey.  As a film I was a bit disappointed or maybe just tired as I've seen this done before and was just underwhelmed because she had some help along the way (water drops, a guide, etc) and while it had to be tough it just wasn't anything that really had me interested.  The love for her camels was missing, even though it appeared from the photographs she had deep feeling for them.  Or at least spent a great deal of time with them in order for her to make her trip, they were tools nothing more.  I appreciated Adam Driver and the aboriginal guide played by Roly Mintuma.  Great music throughout.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
The love for her camels was missing, even though it appeared from the photographs she had deep feeling for them.  Or at least spent a great deal of time with them in order for her to make her trip, they were tools nothing more.

This turns me off to the movie more than anything else. You've observed something that, I think, would bother me a lot. Does it ever come clear why she felt so compelled to make the journey?

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Not really, she alludes to having that adventurer spirit from her father, but it seems more than anything that she was a misanthrope and preferred being alone. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
So strange. I can think of a million things I'd rather do if I wanted to be alone. :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Thanks Sandy, lol @ burro boy! :)

Thanks Davy, hit me up with some more Aussie films some time!

I did a little searching and here is a list of stuff more available.

Hulu Plus

The Rage in Placid Lake
Malcolm
Oranges and Sunshine
The Cars that Ate Paris
Sweetie

Netflix DVD
Long Weekend
Mad Dog Morgan

Netflix Streaming
Muriel's Wedding
The Club