Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31168 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »
I still haven't seen The Infinite Man which is pretty bad seeing Josh McConville (or Connie as he's known) is a mate of mine.

On the other hand, I am seeing him play Hamlet at Cate Blanchett's Sydney Theatre Company in a month. :)
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2015, 04:13:24 AM »
If he is playing at that level the performance he put in for The Infinite Man is a little less surprising (I had not heard of him before). Will it be the first time you have seen Hamlet live?

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2015, 07:00:25 AM »
Will it be the first time you have seen Hamlet live?

Yes! Can't wait.

Do you find Hamlet particularly good for stage in this age? My theatre experience is limited, and zero for Shakespeare come to think of it. :(
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »
I have only seen a theatre group production of a Shakespeare play, nothing like the level you will see it at. It was still most enjoyable. Wait I have seen a professional production of Shakespeare, A Midsummer Nights Dream, which was outdoors and heaps of fun. Live theatre is something differently special compared to film.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
SON OF A GUN 2015-  Really glad to see Ewan McGregor doing something again, and glad to catch an Oz film!  This is good, even with a campy, overused plot line of heist, shootouts, and double and triple crosses.  Brenton Thwaites is a really good son/protege to McGregor's father figure/master criminal.  Alicia Vikander is the very cute love interest and she is equally excellent as a sleazy, waitress, both parts angel and devilish temptress.  Certainly a film for people who root for the bad guys, but it is pretty predictable.  I get what they were trying to do at the ending, but it didn't work very well and overall affected the film.  I loved it though, action packed and Thwaites is far better than the Taylor Lautners of the world.  Also, what a terrible title, again I get it, but it hurts the film.  I would have passed if I hadn't seen Ewan's name attached to this.  The prison scenes hint at a severe intensity that work well, but not overly graphic.  Not ANIMAL KINGDOM by any means, but certainly a fun ride.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »
I've missed this thread!

I'm always more inclined to want to see a film, if Ewan McGregor is in it. :) Glad you got a chance to see it and that it was overall a good experience.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »
I've missed this thread too, finally got to see an Oz film and it was a great one....

THE YEAR MY VOICE BROKE 1987- A very young Noah Taylor as Danny co-stars with his adult doppleganger Ben Mendelsohn as Trevor and a very cute Loene Carmen as Freya in this tale of Australian teenage angst that is part American Pie (but way better/serious, if much less funnier) part Rebel Without a Cause, and even some splashes of Almost Famous. Danny and Freya are best friends who are blossoming teenagers that are drifting apart as they blossom into their pre-adult selves. Danny's adoration for his best friend is not returned as she has fallen for local bad boy and football hero played by Mendelsohn/Trevor.  There are some interesting tropes here explored by the relationship between Trevor and Freya, especially as he plays this macho type that is mean to her, and she plays off his more-brutal-than-playful antagonism that reflects some of that idea of bad guys get the girls.  But the movie doesn't veer off into this and Trevor is actually more than just a ne'er do well who loves action and violence, he is part drag racing teenager and part wild shooting star who are usually the life of the party and death at a young age in the real world. Danny is great character here as well as his love for Freya exists even as he sees her slipping away, even fighting to protect her despite the broken heart.  Certainly this movie reflects a morality of the bad characters are punished and while an interesting ending, pretty predictable.  Still, this is a teenage classic that I've never even heard of, but recommend highly if anything for the fantastic music.  The Everly Bros, Ray Peterson give us renditions of Temptation and Corrina, Corrina that join a host of other songs that bring to life the period of time in that small corner of Oz that could be a small corner of Anytown USA.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2016, 07:31:33 AM »
Colonel thanks for the reminder about this thread. I saw The Year My Voice Broke for the first time a few years ago, not sure why I missed it when it was released, it was an enjoyable film and your review eloquently covers my view of it. There is also a sequel called Flirting with Taylor and Kidman. Writing of Noah Taylor I would also recommend his performance as Hitler in Max

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014 Kiah Roache-Turner)

The zombies are here and it is time to survive (or not). This is a bit of a splatter fest, but they have clearly understood the limits of their budget and as a result the effects are really well done. There are a couple of new1 concepts to the zombie genre in this film. Basically this is a imaginative, gory, fun zombie romp.

Rating: 76/100

1 New to me, someone who has not seen a lot of zombie films.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
For someone who's zombie repertoire is basically Warm Bodies, Night of the Living Dead, I am Legend and the first Resident Evil, it's basically all new concepts to me! :)

haha! Just saw the hypnotism scene from The Year My Voice Broke. Looks like a cute movie. :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
@Dave- Thanks for the recommend on the sequel, I would love to continue Danny's story, if I can find it I'll be viewing soon!  Max sounds interesting too.  Wyrmwood, my brother was telling me about this and the preview looks really tempting!  Enjoyed the review and I will certainly try to give that a shot as well.

@Sandy- Ha, yes there are several cute scenes like that, I believe you would enjoy this one :)