love

Author Topic: Australian Cinema?  (Read 31150 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Australian Cinema?
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »
Ok for those looking to take a deep dip into Australian films of this millennium Film Ink has produced a list of the Top 100 Australian films of the millennium, it is from 2016, so there are some recent films that should be on the list, but are not. Now there are a few odd inclusions (Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby for example), as they do not seem very Australian, but it is their list they can do what they want.

The top 10 are:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Chopper
Lantana
The Proposition
Animal Kingdom
Rabbit Proof Fence
Charlie's Country
Not Quite Hollywood
Australia
Kenny

A lovely surprise to see Boxing Day at #23

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2020, 12:37:08 AM »
I'm surprised Gallipoli isn't on the list. It's one of the most iconic movies we have.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2020, 03:33:20 AM »
Gallipoli came out in the 1980s, the list is for films from 2000 onwards.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2020, 04:40:27 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. I probably should've paid more attention! No wonder there was so many recent films ;D

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:51 PM »
Ok for those looking to take a deep dip into Australian films of this millennium Film Ink has produced a list of the Top 100 Australian films of the millennium, it is from 2016, so there are some recent films that should be on the list, but are not. Now there are a few odd inclusions (Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby for example), as they do not seem very Australian, but it is their list they can do what they want.

The top 10 are:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Chopper
Lantana
The Proposition
Animal Kingdom
Rabbit Proof Fence
Charlie's Country
Not Quite Hollywood
Australia
Kenny

A lovely surprise to see Boxing Day at #23

Of that small list I've only not seen CHARLIE'S COUNTRY and NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD...I hope to jump back into this thread during the small break times I have over the summer....I sure do love Oz cinema
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2020, 10:59:00 PM »
Mystery Road (2013) just came up on my radar as a great neo-noir. I know colonel_mexico has seen it, anybody else want to weigh in? Looks like something I would like.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:29 AM »
It's a hard look at realities of Outback Australia. Indigenous actors as well as the director/writer are supported by the great Hugo Weaving and Judy Davis. For me it was thoughtful and considered film-making with some well-timed twists.
Texan Down Under

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2020, 04:59:00 AM »
I have recently watched that and its sequel Goldstone. Both good, not great, with Mystery Road the better of the 2 films. The cinematography was very good in both of the films. Particularly the very unusual straight down aerial shots. There is also a TV series (which I have not yet watched) which has Judy Davis and Colin Friels along with Aaron Pedersen (the star of the 2 films)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »
1S0 I would be very interested in your take on MYSTERY ROAD if you get around to it!
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »
I will carve out some time soon.

love