love

Author Topic: Frakenweenie  (Read 832 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Frakenweenie
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:41 AM »
I saw Frankenweenie this weekend, and was it just me, or was Frankenweenie way darker than you thought it would be?  I was shocked by some of the imagery.  The Mr. Whiskers cat/bat getting impaled or the creepy brine shrimp.  It seemed a little adult for what I thought was supposed to be a kids movie.  Am I just becoming an old fuddy dud?  I mean I loved movies as a kid (like The Dark Crystal) that I watch now and wonder why the hell I wasn't scared to death by it.

"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
Re: Frakenweenie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:19 AM »
I haven't seen the original som I can't compare, but I agree it was dark and surely a bit frightening for small kids. I wouldn't bring someone under 10 to watch it.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:27:13 AM »
Burton is a true master of craft. This film was darker than I imagined going in, but that's because of poor marketing I imagine. This is also leagues better than the short film. I think the big problem is it being not properly marketed. Though, also the film is entirely in black and white, so after watching it I guess I wasn't super surprised that it wasn't exactly for kids. It's just good to see that Burton is cashing in on his success with Alice in the proper ways.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
The dark part for me was when Sparky ran away and found his grave. The realization that he belongs dead would be tough to explain to a kid, and it's handled in a muddled way here because he quickly has to become Sparky the Hero.

I do agree with FLY that it makes me happy to see Burton use his Alice cache to make a very uncommercial film. That's easy to miss because Burton is such a brand it's assumed anything he does is part of a money-making corporation.