Author Topic: February 2013 MDC  (Read 4455 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: February 2013 MDC
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Malcolm X 9/10
It is long, I'm not sure I agree with all of Lee's directorial choices and the ending is overblown. Despite these things it's an amazing film with an astounding performance from Washington. I was really impressed with how smooth the pacing was for the length, building up the character well and creating very compelling mini-narratives. Despite my issues with some of Lee's choices, and Malcolm X's, I do think the film does a great job of presenting issues and genuine perspectives about issues that still linger to this day. It's the kind of thing I don't feel compelled to write about but would probably love discussing if I had seen it with someone else.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
It is one of my favorite films, if only for the lead performance.  Just stunning.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »
It's top 100-worthy.  The ending is a bit much, but the second time around I was less irked by it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:11 AM »
Glory

This is the story of the first African American troop in the U.S. military, during the Civil War, immediately after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.  There are many things to like about this film: the portrayal of the blacks were not all heroic and the idea of a black troop was not presented as a strictly wonderful thing.  Some of the issues, like racist troop pay, were brought up.  Denzel, as usual, was marvelous, and Morgan was good, although he didn't have much to do apart from offer meaningful face expressions.  Matthew Broderick, as has been mentioned often, is completely miscast.  I have never seen a less convincing fit of rage in my life. On the other hand, the film was gorgeous. In general, a solid film.

But it is too sentimental, too patriotic, too noble for my taste still.  The ending is so precious and is packed with meaning that isn't borne out by the rest of the movie.  I do wish I had some patriotic racist friends to recommend it to, though.

3/5

Antares

• Elite Member
  • "Haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
You don't mention Andre Braugher, and for some reason, no one ever does. I wish he and Denzel had played each other's roles. Denzel always played the angry young black men in his early career. It would have been a switch to see him play something different, and Braugher's character could have been that role. I've always felt that Braugher was the better actor, unfortunately, he's never gotten the attention he deserves.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
And you are right, I should have mentioned him.  Andre was marvelous in the role and I recognized him right away.  Honestly, the only reason I didn't mention him is because I didn't have his name in my memory handy.  But he, apart from Denzel, did the best work in the film.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
Isn't Andre always marvelous?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

george96

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
A Patch of Blue

A Patch of Blue takes on not one social issue, but many; between race relations, domestic violence, the blind, and sexual assault. It's a daring film, but not a daunting one. It's sweet and excels at creating small, but memorable moments like the grocery shopping scene, the disorientation on the street, and the key moment when Selina finds out Gordon is black. Even when the film has its characters talk too much (and mean too little), the performances keep the film even. Sidney Poitier is great (as usual, even in a restrained role like this), Elizabeth Hartman is lovable, and Shelley Winters is infuriating. It offers little closure or resolution for the characters, but watching how they impact each others' lives is enough.

3.5/4

And sorry I'm so late.