love

Poll

What's your favorite film by John Cameron Mitchell?

Haven't Seen Any
4 (19%)
Don't Like Any
1 (4.8%)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
7 (33.3%)
Shortbus
3 (14.3%)
Rabbit Hole
5 (23.8%)
How to Talk to Girls at Parties
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Mitchell, John Cameron  (Read 2978 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Mitchell, John Cameron
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017)
"Take me to the Punk."

From a short story by Neil Gaiman comes this unique blend of Brit punk and science fiction. Elle Fanning is even more "not of this earth" than in the Neon Demon, while Nicole Kidman is an aging Siouxsie Sioux who gave everything to punk and is now realizing she's a sellout simply by surviving so long. I can't imagine the movie working without Fanning, while Kidman is both miscast and such a good actress that it becomes a richer, more offbeat performance than an obvious choice else could give.

John Cameron Mitchell's first feature in seven years starts grungy, but in a disappointingly uninspired way. He eventually revs up the style to a level of full psychedelia and there are numerous scenes that come off as performance art, something that will definitely alienate many, but I liked the primary colors and unapologetic weirdness. He also brings his Hedwig energy to the concert scenes, which there are not enough of. The film never won me over, but it's a constantly interesting pile of ideas and talent that never left me regretting the watch.
RATING: ★ ★ ½

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017)

In anticipation of this film (which is remarkably cheap as an Amazon rental considering how new it is), I read the Neil Gaiman graphic novel. It...leaves a lot to be desired. The entirety of the source material is dispensed of within the first 20 or so minutes, and even then what we see on screen is far more detailed than the source that aggravatingly leaves everything to the imagination. Even in this more fleshed out take on the original idea, I couldn't really tell you what the point is. That said, John Cameron Mitchell retains enough skill to create moments (in combination with Elle Fanning's inability to be boring on screen). The music sequence that 1SO nominated for the Filmspot is certainly one of them, and I'd say the later punk raid is the other main highlight.

But man, this still feels pretty empty, and can be Exhibit 1 of the question of whether JCM has ever made a bad film.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
But love was the missing thing!
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:49 AM »
Hedwig And The Angry Inch, 50°
Shortbus, 40°
Rabbit Hole, 30°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)