love

Author Topic: HBO's True Detective  (Read 10349 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Re: HBO's True Detective
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »
Hes got to survive  Dr. John shooting him right?

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Hes got to survive  Dr. John shooting him right?

Potential SPOILER in the link:

http://imgur.com/tLTlskc

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2015, 02:34:43 PM »
The Frank and Jordan adoption story really drags everything down. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
Vaughn just seems kind of silly in general this season and it seems like we start most episodes on a way too long scene with him.

I think Farrell is doing a pretty good job though.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
About thirty minutes into sixth episode of the second series, I gave up on this show...I don't care, I really don't care what happens to them (maybe Farrell), as I've nothing invested in them.

It's a shame...as I loved the first series :(

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 01:39:56 PM »
Welp, I stuck it out to the end. This season was not good. At all. But it remained remarkably watchable. Mostly due to Farrell and McAdams performances.

I thought I'd write more, but honestly, can't find the enthusiasm. Happy to discuss this weird season if anyone else made it to the end though.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »
Now that law school has temporarily stopped I got a chance to wade through the 2 seasons of this show and about to start (begrudgingly but hopeful) Season 3. 

Season 1- Wow, it is not hard to see why this show was so critically acclaimed, Harrelson and McConaughey are excellent on so many levels.  The storytelling of each of their versions is sort of postmodern-y, while still being a psychological crime drama.  TV shows like this seem to have displaced indie dramas and I am glad I usually wait until they have conclude so I can binge.  The sweeping landscape shots of Louisiana remind me of those long trips on I-10 when I would shuttle home to Northwest Florida from Texas.  You always wonder what goes on in those bayous as you make your way across that miles long bridge.  McConaughey's wavering between bouts of delusion and attempts to bring justice to the silent victims work really well with Harrelson's wannabe good guy, who is just your stereotypical high school jock cum police detective.  The undercover sequence was excellent, a TRAINING DAY-esque journey into the biker and drug underworld (though the ending of the episode seemed contrived).  So, much fun and so many layers, special nod to Michelle Monaghan who is tough, beautiful and endearing despite the darkness of the world her husband pulls her into.  Through her our heroes are able to hate and love each other, which ultimately their lives and justice depend on.  EXCELLENT.

Season 2- Another wow, but for the completely opposite reason.  I think there were changes in directing and I am unfamiliar with the technical and writing aspects that go into making these shows, but whoever left, get them back!  The dialogue is atrocious, how many hipster quasi-philosophical lines can Vince Vaughn drop in a season?  Every time his wife came into the room you knew you were going to get some Socratic-y non sequitur.  I really like Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams, but they are too edgy, like super edgy and then lets try to be even edgier.  McAdams is the best of the bunch and I did find funny the way she is in the men's group, reversing the male gaze a tad.  Taylor Kitsch has his moments too, but they never really did anything with him.  His edgy was interesting, his struggle with his identity and his relationships, but then left it empty.  I am all for gritty reality, but in Season 1 there was at least some cheesy moments that left some characters redemption.  Here none, the ending is the worst part of this mess and it almost made little sense the remaining scenes with McAdams and Kelly Reilly (she is such a good actress but she is awful and I am going to mercifully blame the material).  The one saving point of this show is Lera Lynn and that dark bar where she played some very sad, but beautiful songs.  TERRIBLE.

Off to give Season 3 a spin, I am still hopeful and the cast looks great, I'll be back!
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

love