Author Topic: The Americans on FX  (Read 18394 times)

jswysin

Re: The Americans on FX
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
This week's scene in the basement may be the best moment of the series so far.  Simultaneously romantic and difficult to watch, the lack of dialogue and use of closeups, all coming on the heels of the slow-burn intensity of the chase sequence.  The show has become so confident in its storytelling and execution, it's on a roll.     

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
Just discovered that Slate hosts an Americans insider podcast with the creators talking about each episode. The 2nd ep was particularly interesting since they covered the shooting of the suitcase scene.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
Yep, The Americans is a fantastic TV Show. Season Three has yet to start in the UK.
Also, the programme does suffer from poor scheduling. It's usually on late Sunday night, early Monday morning.

I'm kinda guessing/hoping that Nina returns.
You won't be disappointed with season 3, I think. :)

This week's scene in the basement may be the best moment of the series so far.  Simultaneously romantic and difficult to watch, the lack of dialogue and use of closeups, all coming on the heels of the slow-burn intensity of the chase sequence.
Yes! What a great scene - the chase, too.  I loved the pacing and each beat.

Just discovered that Slate hosts an Americans insider podcast with the creators talking about each episode. The 2nd ep was particularly interesting since they covered the shooting of the suitcase scene.
Thanks for the heads up! Will check this out.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
Yeah, that podcast is incredibly interesting, adds so much to understanding the decision-making on set.
Texan Down Under

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
Those guys sure know how to pack a suitcase.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
"Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep" is another knockout episode. Every season, every episode, of this show just seems to get better and better. Great performance from Keri Russell and an outstanding guest role for Lois Smith. I'd easily put both on my Emmy ballot for their scene together. Just wrenching stuff.

jswysin

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
No show rewards patience quite like this show.  Seeds planted in season one finally being exposed, it's breathtaking.  In a year when Mad Men hopefully goes out on top, they're gonna have a hard time surpassing the greatness of The Americans.     

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:28 AM »
No show rewards patience quite like this show.  Seeds planted in season one finally being exposed, it's breathtaking. 
Yes! It's so good, right?!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 02:20:50 AM »
That last ep was so tense.  I have a problem with the writing that Paige knows the truth and especially her recruitment, but it makes for good viewing.  I mean the girl is American through and through and why would her parents want her to lead their lives?  It's the last thing I'd want for my child, no matter my patriotism or whatever world views I held.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
Renewed!
Texan Down Under