3 (11.5%)
Pompeii (2014)
0 (0%)
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
0 (0%)
Monster Hunter
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Anderson, Paul W.S.  (Read 4345 times)

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
Re: Anderson, Paul W.S. - Director's Best
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 12:45:33 AM »
Well, at least he's no Uwe Boll.

Mortal Kombat
AvP: Alien vs. Predator

Event Horizon
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Anderson, Paul W.S. - Director's Best
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:30 AM »
Resident Evil : Afterlife
The Three Musketeers
AVP : Alien vs Predator
Mortal Kombat

He might actually be worse than Bay.

Well, at least he's no Uwe Boll.

That's hardly a stellar endorsement.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Anderson, Paul W.S.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
1. Resident Evil (2)
2. Pompeii (1)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »

I'm a great defender of certain video game movies, especially if they faithfully captured the style of the game and brought it out in an entertaining way in the movie (Silent Hill and, to a lesser extent, Mortal Kombat). That said, having never touched a single Resident Evil game before, whatever charms this film might bring to the video game fans were probably lost on me. I've rarely been this bored watching a movie before. Even when watching Piranha (2010), I had some laughs and guilty pleasures out of it, but this formulaic plot about evil corporations breeding zombies... yeesh. It was a real chore to work through, and Michelle Rodriguez's a real wasted talent on this film.

Also, the 'security defense' of the Red Queen presents a major plot-hole: if the nerve gas (that's part of the defense system) causes everyone to lose their memories, how is the dispatched security team going to identity trespassers on the vicinity?

The effects are also terrible, more so than Event Horizon and AVP: Aliens vs. Predator, and there's some anticlimatic boss battle at the end. Have I covered all grounds? Okay, let's get this over with.

★★

Watch 28 Days Later instead.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:39:42 PM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »
Hermit, may I direct your attention to this. One of the most fun times I've had on the Boards was a group Marathon dedicated to watching all of the existing Resident Evil films. With this commitment and teamwork, we got past the first two films and discovered some pretty cool sequences waiting for us on the back end. Those 185 posts now make a handy guide to enjoying the series while acknowledging what it gets wrong.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
Hermit, may I direct your attention to this. One of the most fun times I've had on the Boards was a group Marathon dedicated to watching all of the existing Resident Evil films. With this commitment and teamwork, we got past the first two films and discovered some pretty cool sequences waiting for us on the back end. Those 185 posts now make a handy guide to enjoying the series while acknowledging what it gets wrong.

This scene would have made the first movie a little better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xaNclkHMA

I read through the reviews, and I'm not really sure about this whole universe-building thing going on throughout the five movies. This back and forth with the Red Queen's schemes seem unnecessarily convoluted, and it reminds me a lot of those Saw movies, which while I more or less managed to stomach through, I wasn't a big fan of it. I'm not sure if I'm ready for another four more movies of universe-building again to question if Alice is real or not by the fifth movie. Her 'action girl' performance in the first movie wasn't particularly compelling; I'd rather have seen Michelle in her role. She might have gotten me interested in watching the rest of the series instead.

I'll give it some consideration. Maybe during a week of guilty pleasures with Resident Evil and Transformers movies back-to-back, just to see who could out-dumb the other. :P

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter  (Paul W.S. Anderson, 2016)
I'd only seen Resident Evil: Afterlife previously, and I remembered being pleasantly surprised by it. Memory is funny that way. I think I was actually surprised it graded out at a C and not a D. This latest entry (which leaves room for a sequel, despite the title) is mostly a lot of audiovisual noise, never fully boring but also never really more than that. My only real takeaway is a newfound appreciation for Milla Jovovich's star quality. I'll be somewhat eager to see her put it towards fresh use.
Grade: C

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Sean's take on the series is almost enough to get me to watch it. Almost.

https://seattlescreenscene.com/2017/01/28/resident-evil-the-final-chapter-paul-ws-anderson-2016/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »
That article inspired this marathon, where we learned Retribution is a major reward for those who go through the entire series.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 05:01:10 AM »
Is the last one worth it as a movie that's so bad it's good? I was thinking of going with friends to group watch it.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/