Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Mar 2013 - Aug 2015)  (Read 441621 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #780 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
That's easy.  Blues Brothers, without a doubt.  I would've recommended it initially but I figured you'd seen it.  You'll have a blast.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #781 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
That's what I was leaning towards. I figured I couldn't go wrong. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
I would also choose The Blues Brothers for you from that list.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #783 on: July 13, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
The Burglar
Now it can be told, a fair an honest evaluation having watched the entire film. Martin, I can see why you love it so much. This is certainly one of the most unusual Noirs I've ever seen. Lots of offbeat touches, possibly even more than The Lady From Shanghai, and unlike Lady this appears to be completely unfiltered by outside interference. All decisions, good and bad are purely the responsibility of the creative team.

I just didn't like a lot of those decisions. Personal preference. I liked the super dark flashback and the use of the location at the climax. (Not just the funhouse but those arena steps and seating.) Most of the creative freshness was done in by a mostly poor script that felt the need to over-explain everything. It would have the cool line indicating that the jewels are hot, but then we get it told to us directly followed by an explanation of the trouble with hot merchandise.

The cast was stuck with mostly flat or overwritten dialogue, which exposed the limited acting talent of the cast. Jayne Mansfield gets to play against type, but she shackles herself to saying the words no matter how they're written. They often don't sound natural.

Noir scores are usually on the loud and obtrusive side, but this one's working at Michael Bay levels. It doesn't know the meaning of quiet and keeps changing up so that you can't even get used to it and maybe block it out.
RATING: * *

You could probably cut and paste this review when my turn comes up. Just replace "The Burglar" with "Streets of Fire".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:19:29 AM by 1SO »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #784 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:15 AM »
I remain alone in my love of The Burglar.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #785 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
Night of the Hunter (1955).  Well, I watched this for oldkid's list, but was too busy to do a write-up, so here it goes ... Having heard only bits and pieces about this film over the years (as it places on a number of top X lists), I fully expected a slightly different permutation of the noirish Shadow of a Doubt (1943).  It is really a quite different film.  What I got instead (on first viewing anyway) was a fable/contemplation on the ability of children to persevere.  Loneliness will do unnatural and dark things to parents, and here, Shelly Winters portrayal of the mother reminded me of Jennifer Jason Leigh in the rather disturbing Bastard Out of Carolina (1996).  In fact, there appears to be only one truly redeeming adult in the entire picture.

All that thematic stuff aside, the most memorable part of this film is the sheer ambition of actor-turned-director Charles Laughton - an ambition that exceeded the available technology and the relatively low budget.  Watching the Criterion BD, I couldn't help but notice how shaky the helicopter shots are at the beginning - although I really appreciate what he was trying to do.  And I am not quite sure where I come down on the film's odd combination of visual realism (e.g., the aerial shots, the town picnic scene) with silent-era German expressionism (e.g., the scene in the children's bedroom at night, the farm houses as approached from the river).  One thing is for sure: Night of the Hunter certainly distinguishes itself from the other 1955 films I have seen.  I will have to revisit this one in a few years to really get a grip on it.

Grade: ?
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #786 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
It amazes me how many of my top 100 reflects that theme: The ability of children to persevere.  Tideland, Night of the Hunter, Finding Nemo, Pan's Labyrinth, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Millions, Leon: The Professional, Lilo and Stitch.  And really, Lars and the Real Girl fits in this mold as well.  The children in these films face true horror, but somehow succeed in their own way.  These kinds of film are, in a sense, the ultimate underdog films.  Those without experience, often with an unrealistic idea of the world, and yet they succeed despite their weakness.  Sometimes they succeed through sheer luck, sometimes with the help of compassionate adults, but often they succeed simply because they are determined to and will do whatever they must to obtain their goal (which is often no more than survival, or the survival of their parents). 

I don't know why, but it is an important theme in my life.  Maybe because I see myself as a child and these movies give me hope for my own success/survival?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #787 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
sdb: It took a couple of viewings for me to really get a grip on Night of the Hunter myself... or for it to get a grip on me.  I don't think the mix of realism and expressionism is that "odd".  It would be odder perhaps if the entire movie was that expressionist.  It has a very dreamlike feel, but even dreams have their real moments.

And really, Lars and the Real Girl fits in this mold as well.

Hmmm, does it?  I see what you're getting at, but I think that's stretching it.

I don't know why, but it is an important theme in my life.  Maybe because I see myself as a child and these movies give me hope for my own success/survival?

Did you face particularly adverse circumstances as a child yourself?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #788 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:47 AM »

Did you face particularly adverse circumstances as a child yourself?

Not at all.  I had a very peaceful childhood.  I have just never felt that I really grew up, and constantly wonder that if I were more mature that I could do better with the difficulties now.   I'm not sure, but I certainly identify with the kids.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #789 on: July 17, 2013, 01:10:40 AM »
oldkid - I don't think what you are expressing is unusual. What is unusual is that you are aware enough of yourself to express it and strong enough to be honest about it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy