love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Mar 2013 - Aug 2015)  (Read 441544 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2013, 01:44:55 AM »
I don't dispute her willingness, but her mother never has to accept the poor judgment of preferring the fraud over the whole individual. Instead the fraud leaves and the cripple walks, so the mom need not accept her error because her objection is removed.

Okay, I see that, but it seems secondary.  And really, we don't know what the mother does.  She may still reject him.  I had the impression that she would have preferred Wrenn no matter what.  Wrenn was his superior both at work and in the military.

18 year olds are adults, not teens. He was all ready to bathe her until she said she was 18.

Eighteen is still a teen.  It's in the word and everything.  The funny thing is, I read that scene the complete opposite way... I thought he didn't want to bathe her because she was too young.  But maybe your reading makes more sense.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »
Wrenn was his superior both at work and in the military.

Well, at a point, but Wrenn is kicked out of the military and simply pretending to be decorated/promoted at the end. It is a little tricky working out the economics, Wrenn does give a lot of gifts so he seems to have money. It's still true that her primary objection to Tim was his disability, which is removed as a factor.

Eighteen is still a teen.  It's in the word and everything.  The funny thing is, I read that scene the complete opposite way... I thought he didn't want to bathe her because she was too young.  But maybe your reading makes more sense.

This is my area of expertise.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »

What?...... Bathing prepubescent girls?  :o
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
Mother

Not sure why its taken me so long to get to this one, but I am glad I did. When a woman's son is accused of a murder, we see her play amateur detective and go to crazy lengths in order to clear his name.

The only other Bong Joon-ho film I've seen is Memories of Murder, and one can see a lot of similarities here. Frustration with an investigation, surprising violence, etc. Like that movie, it is really interesting to watch clues, helpful or red herring, pop up as the movie unfolds.

Kim Hye-Ja is wonderful in the film's lead role. Her performance weaves perfectly between stoicism, temporary insanity, anguish, and more.

4/5

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »

What?...... Bathing prepubescent girls?  :o

Adult-adolescent etiquette, I watch a lot of French coming of age films.  ;D

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
Jurassic Park (1993) 10/10
Damn, those dinos hold up well. The acting could do with being a little better, but when you have Goldblum owning the snark and Attenborough being the most compelling wide eyed enthusiastic optimist you can imagine it's easy to forgive the weaknesses. It's all secondary to the majesty of the sets and effects anyway; The film captures wonder and awe at nature and 20 years later it feels just as fresh and incredible as the day it came out. Spielberg doesn't always do it for me, but this film shows superb craftsmanship, an wonderfully paced adventure film with nary a low point and a lot of great highs. It's also a film that isn't afraid to throw in some comedy, but does so in a very organic way that doesn't intrude if you don't find it funny. A true cinematic masterpiece.

This is a film that has fallen slowly out of my top 100 over the past few years(it was at 107 before this viewing) and as soon as I finished I was sure it would find a way back in but now that I look I'm not sure where I can find a spot for it. I've put it at 101 for now, I'll leave the harder decisions for a time after I've rewatched some of these other films, which is my plan for the year.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
Late to the party...

These are the ones I'm planning on:

Jaws
Lucky Star
The Lady Eve
My Darling Clementine
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Great list to choose from Junior!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
Jurassic Park (1993) 10/10

It may be your 666th post but there ain't nothing evil about it. :)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Three Comrades (1938) 9/10
This is more of the kind of bittersweet mix of joy and suffering I expect from Borzage. Even if at times it feels a little forced and the second half drags a bit, it's a wonderful experience. Sullavan is, of course, wonderful and lovely, but the interplay between the three male leads is the heart of the film. There's a unity and distance in the relationship that speaks to the powerful isolation one can feel in a troubled world while also giving a hand to the pleasure of human bonds and the light and purpose it gives to life.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
[NOTE: In PM, I gave Junior a list of films I was looking to rematch, ranked by how much I enjoyed them the first time. Repulsion was at the bottom of that list, and Junior knew that when he selected it. I am trying to follow Rule #6, but I also need to make my case here, especially since it is an unpopular, minority opinion.]

Repulsion

In a film known for its striking imagery, the one above is the one I found to be the most clever. Polanski frames it so it looks like the landlord is placing his hand on Carol's leg. As he puts the rent into his bag, it looks like he's depositing it right between her thighs. A very clever moment and one I don't see mentioned among the more well-known imagery of Repulsion. Everyone talks about the eyes and the arms and that rotting rabbit, but none of that did anything for me. For most of the film I thought Polanski went with the most visually basic representations of Carol's mental breakdown.

I like Catherine Deneuve in this. It was really smart to cast the most beautiful woman on the planet in this role since the male gaze plays a major part. Even still, there's the impression (confirmed by the final image) that Carol has been in need of help for a very long time. She didn't just go crazy over the weekend. This was the weekend where all the stars lined up to push her over the edge.

I know that I'm in the wrong here, but I don't get how a film as over-simplified and ham-fisted as this can make a Top 100. Take the arms, which is an image I've seen more effectively used in La Belle et la Bęte before (Cocteau makes them fantastical and haunting) and Day of the Dead after. (Romero's use is shocking in its speed.) Typical of my reaction to this film, I felt like Polanski was going for complexity but I couldn't get past how tritely he presented the horror. Moments like these don't linger. Just as they're starting, he moves on. Only the loud stinger music lingers. (This cue where it sounds like someone dropped a box of cymbals always gets criticized when it occurs in a less artsy horror film. Why does Polanski get excused?) The building cracks, and the film moves on. (It's her mind that's really cracking. You get it?) From the moment that cooked rabbit comes out of the fridge, you know it's there to rot. No way anybody's going to eat that.

love