Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Mar 2013 - Aug 2015)  (Read 441787 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #570 on: May 27, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »
I won't be miffed if you don't. :)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #571 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:33 AM »
Never Cry Wolf (1983) 8/10

I have to admit, when this started with the very 80s Disney titles, the dubious acting and heavy voice over, I did not expect great things. When it turned out the premise was that the government sent out a single not very competent biologist to study wolves all on his own in the arctic I thought I was in for a groan worthy experience, something that seemed confirmed by a very cheesy rescue and vision sequence. But then things changed. The film's atmosphere found its footing, the bumbling lead character became sympathetic and his actions understandable, and the Inuit actors added quite a bit to the film. It also, despite a low budget feel, is quite beautifully shot with a slight documentary style that gives the visuals a grainy rawness, but are still beautifully composed. The film could never be accused of being subtle in its examination of materialism, survival and the search for meaning and nature, but its not quite heavy handed either. It makes its themes, and the questions it asks, unmistakable, but doesn't jam an answer down your throat, just calmly presents a case whose strength will vary based on how much you value the various things presented. Turns out I quite liked it. All the rough edges mostly enhance its effectiveness and it provided a pleasant and thought provoking experience.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #572 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:42 AM »
Sounds like we had a very similar journey with Never Cry Wolf.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
Part 9:

20. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time -
I liked the film. It has something very clear to say about responsibility and growing up and it tells it in an entertaining manner. For a high-concept idea, it's not as broad as Groundhog Day or Back to the Future, but not low-key like Primer or Timecrimes either.  * * *

19. The Matrix -
While bullet time was done to death post-Matrix, the effect still holds up here.  In fact, except for the final cheesy flying shot, The Matrix has aged very little.  It's survived the hype, the ripoffs and the sequels, and still rocks as one of the coolest films ever made. * * * *

18. Return of the Jedi - I used to like this more, but on a recent rewatch (which I can't find) I realized the Ewoks do screw it up a bit. * * * 1/2

17. Spartan -
My initial viewing of Spartan was such a mix, I forgot how great the first half is.
* * 1/2

16. The Prestige -
The Prestige is everything I love about Nolan's films: the twisty plot, the obsession, the story themes that closely match his cinematic ones and a technical team full of home run hitters and led by cinematographer Wally Pfister. Dueling magicians and the art and craft of magic and illusion, no other film fits more comfortably in his wheelhouse.  * * * 1/2

15. The Neverending Story - This would be one to rewatch on your next time up. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid. It was stranger than most kid films, sadder too. But I liked it and the ending is pretty boss. * * *

14. Demolition Man - I used to watch this on repeat. Terribly underappreciated satire, and the funniest Stallone has ever been in a film. Wesley Snipes at his most formidable, Sandra Bullock's first crack at being lovely. Denis Leary gets to rant. It's a pretty amazing cast. Even Rob Schneider is used to good effect. The fingerprints of writer Daniel Waters (Heathers, Batman returns) are all over this. I wish more people selected Demolition Man for your month. * * * 1/2

13. True Lies - Cameron and Tarantino are my two favorite directors working today. This is lesser Cameron, but still more entertaining than most films. A really fun action spectacle on an epic scale. I hope The Rock gets a chance to be this funny in a big tentpole film one day. * * * 1/2 (Splitting hairs, but I'd put Demo Man above this.)

12. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Underwhelming, despite the cast and material. I blame the directors because I didn't care for Son of Rambow eaither. * * 1/2

11. The Fly - I'm curious to how this holds up. I remember it feeling very 80s. It starts to lose its way with the gross out towards the end. Possibly my favorite Jeff Goldblum performance. * * *

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #574 on: May 28, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
Never Cry Wolf (1983) 8/10

the dubious acting and heavy voice over

Oh, that's how everyone in Canada sounds. We're very cheesy. :))

But then things changed. The film's atmosphere found its footing, the bumbling lead character became sympathetic and his actions understandable, and the Inuit actors added quite a bit to the film. It also, despite a low budget feel, is quite beautifully shot with a slight documentary style that gives the visuals a grainy rawness, but are still beautifully composed. The film could never be accused of being subtle in its examination of materialism, survival and the search for meaning and nature, but its not quite heavy handed either. It makes its themes, and the questions it asks, unmistakable, but doesn't jam an answer down your throat, just calmly presents a case whose strength will vary based on how much you value the various things presented. Turns out I quite liked it. All the rough edges mostly enhance its effectiveness and it provided a pleasant and thought provoking experience.

That's fantastic! I'm so glad it turned itself around for you. I wish Disney would come out with a blu-ray for this... god knows they've released worse. Like you say, it's beautifully shot. It seems like the sort of film that would be most enhanced by an upgrade.

If you're sold on this director's "good eye" and independent spirit you might enjoy Wind. Even more cheesy but it's thrilling and different. :)

Thanks for picking Never Cry Wolf!

19. The Matrix -
While bullet time was done to death post-Matrix, the effect still holds up here.  In fact, except for the final cheesy flying shot, The Matrix has aged very little.  It's survived the hype, the ripoffs and the sequels, and still rocks as one of the coolest films ever made. * * * *

Well said. :)

18. Return of the Jedi - I used to like this more, but on a recent rewatch (which I can't find) I realized the Ewoks do screw it up a bit. * * * 1/2

What'd you say to me!

17. Spartan
...I forgot how great the first half is.

THIS.    IS.      pretty normal, actually.

16. The Prestige -
The Prestige is everything I love about Nolan's films: the twisty plot, the obsession, the story themes that closely match his cinematic ones and a technical team full of home run hitters and led by cinematographer Wally Pfister. Dueling magicians and the art and craft of magic and illusion, no other film fits more comfortably in his wheelhouse.  * * * 1/2

Do you have a favourite bit? I don't think I do, which is unusual.

15. The Neverending Story - This would be one to rewatch on your next time up. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid. It was stranger than most kid films, sadder too. But I liked it and the ending is pretty boss. * * *

Saw it in theatres? That's badass!

14. Demolition Man - I used to watch this on repeat. Terribly underappreciated satire, and the funniest Stallone has ever been in a film. Wesley Snipes at his most formidable, Sandra Bullock's first crack at being lovely. Denis Leary gets to rant. It's a pretty amazing cast. Even Rob Schneider is used to good effect. The fingerprints of writer Daniel Waters (Heathers, Batman returns) are all over this. I wish more people selected Demolition Man for your month. * * * 1/2

One of the first times I saw boobs in a film. Back when I still called them boobs.

13. True Lies - Cameron and Tarantino are my two favorite directors working today. This is lesser Cameron, but still more entertaining than most films. A really fun action spectacle on an epic scale. I hope The Rock gets a chance to be this funny in a big tentpole film one day. * * * 1/2 (Splitting hairs, but I'd put Demo Man above this.)

The Rock will need a sidekick as good as Tom Arnold if he's ever going to top this. And a creep as good as ol' Paxton. :)

12. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Underwhelming, despite the cast and material. I blame the directors because I didn't care for Son of Rambow eaither. * * 1/2

It underwhelmed me when I first saw it too, and that's never having read the book. Then I read the book and came back to it a few years later and wondered why I hadn't enjoyed it. Now I find it one of the most charming films ever.

I know that doesn't help.

11. The Fly - I'm curious to how this holds up. I remember it feeling very 80s. It starts to lose its way with the gross out towards the end. Possibly my favorite Jeff Goldblum performance. * * *

I'm curious how it holds up too. It's one of the few on my list with only a single viewing. And so high too! I was just so in awe of that final scene.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #575 on: May 28, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
The Fly totally holds up. Looks great on Blu.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

What'd you say to me!

OH LORDY! I lost just scrolling up to the top of Recent Posts. Then I really lost it when I read it in context. Are there more of these?

The Prestige is pretty consistent in its quality, though I especially love that Robert's great trick that requires him to take his bow from beneath the stage.

One of the first times I saw boobs in a film. Back when I still called them boobs.
I would've guessed Die Hard. And not the magazine pic, Cheryl Baker.

The final scene in The Fly is all that you say it is, which is pretty impressive since there's no way you should recognize Seth Brundle at that point, yet you absolutely do.

Devil

« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »

(Devil, since you came in late in the month, you don't need to do one for smirnoff... but you can if you want to!)

I'm gonna try to fit one in.

These have all been on my to watch list for awhile so may as well tackle at least one of them:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
The Fountain
The Secret World of Arietty
Barry Lyndon

Plus a couple others I haven't viewed yet, I'll see what I'm in the mood for.
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
OH LORDY! I lost just scrolling up to the top of Recent Posts. Then I really lost it when I read it in context. Are there more of these?

:)) Not that I know of.

The Prestige is pretty consistent in its quality, though I especially love that Robert's great trick that requires him to take his bow from beneath the stage.

Good one.

I would've guessed Die Hard. And not the magazine pic, Cheryl Baker.
Like Lethal Weapon I was somewhat late to the party with DH.

The final scene in The Fly is all that you say it is, which is pretty impressive since there's no way you should recognize Seth Brundle at that point, yet you absolutely do.

That's it exactly!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #579 on: May 29, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
For those who are planning on watching my films, I will be responding to each review.  However, I will not have internet access for the next few days, so those who post on the first, I won't respond until Sunday.

See you then.  (So to speak...)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky