Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Mar 2013 - Aug 2015)  (Read 441596 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »
Sandy: so you didn't like it?  Like oldkid said, I think it's great fun as a puzzle with no solution.  And the cinematography is glorious.  I agree the tone can be too self-serious, but I find that tone works better in context here than in Hiroshima Mon Amour.

I know the trick to winning Nim (The Secret of Nim?)

Jared: hooray!  Just a couple hours ago I was sitting in a theater watching 20 Feet from Stardom and the film included a piece of SMS.  The whole crowd was getting into it.  Such an infectiously joyous movie.  It's the perfect concert film.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
Sandy: so you didn't like it?

:) I really have been ambiguous, haven't I? I think what I just learned is that my amusement with some of the elements was welcomed. It's a valid response. Like that statue, if any movie was open for individual interpretation and experience, this would be it.

Like oldkid said, I think it's great fun as a puzzle with no solution.  And the cinematography is glorious.  I agree the tone can be too self-serious, but I find that tone works better in context here than in Hiroshima Mon Amour.

Even though I was confused by the tone, I found a lot to contemplate on and knew it wasn't expecting me to come to any definitive answer. Yes, glorious. My favorite shot is in the garden where the wind is blowing the woman's white sheer sleeves behind her.

You do?! Is it a math equation?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #762 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:59 AM »
You may think this post has been disjointed, but I'd like to think of it as spatially and temporally ambiguous. :)
Sandy, once again putting all my meta reviews to shame.  ;)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #763 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
Martin what is the deal with Time of the Gypsies runtime? Wikipedia doesn't explain whats up, it just lists the 139 minute version, which I can find streaming on DailyMotion. Imdb however has a 270 minute time listed. Is one version largely preferred?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks Sam! But, that can't be so. I deal in cheap parlor tricks, while your writing works with real magic. :D

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #765 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Spoilery quoting ahead.

The New World

You have gone away with my life.
Killed the god in me.
I mourn.
I grieve.
Come death, take me.
Set me free.
Let me be what I was.

Mother, your love is before my eyes.
Show me your way.
Teach me your path.
Give me a humble heart.

Who are you?
What do you dream of?

She weaves all things together.
All sings to her.

He is like a tree.
He shelters me.
I lie in his shade.

You know when a movie works? It's when you finish and realize that before watching it, you were functioning half asleep and now never want to go back to that state again.

Thanks Martin, I'm off to revise my Top 100 list. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #767 on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Like that statue, if any movie was open for individual interpretation and experience, this would be it.

For sure.

My favorite shot is in the garden where the wind is blowing the woman's white sheer sleeves behind her.

One of my favorite pieces of movie trivia is that in one of the shots, shadows were painted on the ground so that the people would have shadows but the trees wouldn't.

You do?! Is it a math equation?

Kind of.

Martin what is the deal with Time of the Gypsies runtime? Wikipedia doesn't explain whats up, it just lists the 139 minute version, which I can find streaming on DailyMotion. Imdb however has a 270 minute time listed. Is one version largely preferred?

Shorter version is fine, it's the one most people see.  Most of the added scenes for the television version are superfluous and just make it feel Godfather-ish.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »

Woohoo!  It's a marvelous, entrancing film.  Not as popular as Days of Heaven or Badlands, but for me it's the one where all the Malick elements are working at their peak.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #769 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
One of my favorite pieces of movie trivia is that in one of the shots, shadows were painted on the ground so that the people would have shadows but the trees wouldn't.

Ha! I hadn't noticed that. It would have made the shot much less interesting with either no shadows or all things shadowed. Very ingenious.

Kind of.

If you decide to reveal the trick, you could put it in the spoiler thread. :)

Woohoo!  It's a marvelous, entrancing film.  Not as popular as Days of Heaven or Badlands, but for me it's the one where all the Malick elements are working at their peak.

I agree! This is my favorite of his that I've seen.

It is an eye-opening film. It literally changed the way I look at the world.

Yep Sam. Magic. :) Since I'm in a quoting frame of mind:

"the sensory experience of the beauty of the natural world"

"to embrace an inner stillness"

"it gives me sense of grandeur of the world and my relative small and insignificant role within the universe"

"this has literally changed how I look at things"

I too will remember to look. And, to look up.