love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Mar 2013 - Aug 2015)  (Read 441620 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #1200 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
Limelight (which really I should have seen ages ago being a Chaplin fan) and Come and See are the two that my library had from my shortlist so they'll be up first. Then I'll see what I might use a DVD queue spot for.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1201 on: November 01, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »
For this month, I will try to watch:

One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest (which I've watched long ago and had a poor opinion of it because it strayed too far from the novel for me)
The Exterminating Angel
Le Corbeau
Straw Dogs (which I already have on my queue)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1203 on: November 01, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
Thank you for sharing your favorites, Sandy!

The following people did not post a review and were bumped down a slot in the rotation:

Corndog
sdb_1970
Devil
ArmenianScientist

(Verite also did not post one, but I've given him a pass because he joined after the start of the month)

Next up: PeacefulAnarchy!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1204 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:19 AM »
Haven't seen (top 100 only, not the full 250):

20. Conte d'été
36. Be with Me
41. Ilha das Flores
44. Now
90. Flesh and the Devil

The first two are already on my watchlist, so I'll try to get to both.  The next two are shorts, so I'll probably do those too.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1205 on: November 01, 2013, 01:15:45 AM »
It's been a really fun month! Thanks for hosting this club, Martin!

Another Year.

Isn't this the kind of movie that isn't made anymore? The movie for adults about adult things? I must have imagined this one then, a sad little daydream that traces a(nother) year in the lives of an older couple and their friends and family. The odd thing here is that the couple isn't really the focus of the film but rather the stable center around which a few wobbly characters revolve. They aren't involved in most of the little drama that does happen, but they do observe it. The lonely friends and son and brother all clearly affect them and throw their normal marriage into sharp relief. At one point the wife feels bad for having a life with little wrong while her coworker/friend continues to have middle aged single problems. It's a totally real emotion indicative of the rest of this considered and impressively patient movie.

9/10.

Wonderful thoughts Junior. It really is us observing them, observing others. So many layers, you make me want to watch it again soon!

I put this in another post, but here is my list for PeacefulAnarchy:

Forbidden Games
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Persona
Shadow of a Doubt
A Summer's Tale

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #1206 on: November 01, 2013, 01:42:09 AM »
Every time you guys post a list I'm tempted to say "ooh, I love that movie," then I catch myself and realize it goes without saying. I don't know if I can go the whole month without watching something for this thread, so I may rewatch a few of these myself.

Limelight (which really I should have seen ages ago being a Chaplin fan) and Come and See are the two that my library had from my shortlist so they'll be up first. Then I'll see what I might use a DVD queue spot for.
If you like Chaplin Limelight is a must. I think it works regardless, but it might feel a bit indulgent if you don't like him.

For this month, I will try to watch:

One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest (which I've watched long ago and had a poor opinion of it because it strayed too far from the novel for me)
The Exterminating Angel
Le Corbeau
Straw Dogs (which I already have on my queue)
These tend towards the dark side of my list, yet in very different ways. The middle two are more philosophical but the other two probably scare me as much as any horror film would.

Haven't seen (top 100 only, not the full 250):

20. Conte d'été
36. Be with Me
41. Ilha das Flores
44. Now
90. Flesh and the Devil

The first two are already on my watchlist, so I'll try to get to both.  The next two are shorts, so I'll probably do those too.
I would have thought for sure you had seen Conte d'été. With how you feel about silents, and Flesh and The Devil being almost 2hrs, I think those two are safer choices.

I put this in another post, but here is my list for PeacefulAnarchy:

Forbidden Games
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Persona
Shadow of a Doubt
A Summer's Tale

I'm really, really curious to read your thoughts on Persona. And another person watching A Summer's Tale, I hope it can be as successful as Another Year was for you.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1207 on: November 01, 2013, 02:00:13 AM »
I despise Limelight, so I'd put good money on Bondo's enjoying it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1208 on: November 01, 2013, 02:25:26 AM »
Sandy, I'm still planning on catching up with the other version of Jane Eyre. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

LukeRobot

« Reply #1209 on: November 01, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
I haven't seen 52 of PA's top 100, and I am afraid to even look at the other 150 to see how much I haven't seen.  I will probably try to target anything that is on Hulu, but these are the ones I am most interested in/shamed I haven't seen.

Melancholia
The Bad Sleep Well
Come and See
Le Corbeau
Sleuth
Walkabout
Rebel Without a Cause
Johnny Got His Gun
The Phantom Carriage