love

Author Topic: Birth Year Movie  (Read 11316 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Birth Year Movie
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
I'm not really sure this fits in the category of movie game, but maybe?

Basically, just state what your favorite movie from the year of your birth was. I'll start.

I was born in 1986 and two movies immediately jump to my mind as the two contenders. The first is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's funny that this, and my other pick from this year, were also one of my first VHS tapes and ones that I watched over and over again in my formative years. It was my first foray into more adult leaning humor, or at least for an 8 year old. I pretty much thought it was the greatest thing ever. Skipping school and pretty much being the coolest person on the planet. It was also my go-to movie when I stayed home from school sick. Even now I think I can remember just about every scene in that movie, and its still perfect.

The other, and the one I'm ultimately going with as my favorite is Aliens. What can I say? It's pretty much the perfect action movie. I loved horror movies when I was little, and this one blended horror with some awesome action. I was an avid action figure collector and I had them all from this movie. Cpl. Hicks was my idol and I spent countless hours recreating movies with my plastic figures. I still get happy every time I think about this movie. I watched it recently and it hasn't diminished at all. Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

What's your year and movie?
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Birth Year Movie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »
I was born in 1965 (I'm not called oldkid for nothing), and it was a pretty weak year, at least for the films I've seen.

However, one film stands out amidst the crowd, and this is Red Beard, the Kurosawa film.  It is the story of a doctor working in the late 1800s in Edo, sacrificing himself and leading among the poor and outcast.  It is a wonderfully inspiring film, and Mifune gives one of his great performances.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

SeanGather

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:00 AM »
This is quite topical for me because for my birthday I have rented a cool little venue in Glasgow that allows you to screen DVDs for your friends. I thought it'd be cool to show a couple of films from my year of birth, 1985 - which is a great vintage actually! I settled on The Breakfast Club and Return of the Living Dead, which basically sum up my taste in films pretty well, haha. I don't know if they're my favourites but I think that'll be a cool double bill.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
This is quite topical for me because for my birthday I have rented a cool little venue in Glasgow that allows you to screen DVDs for your friends. I thought it'd be cool to show a couple of films from my year of birth, 1985 - which is a great vintage actually! I settled on The Breakfast Club and Return of the Living Dead, which basically sum up my taste in films pretty well, haha. I don't know if they're my favourites but I think that'll be a cool double bill.

Whereabouts is that?  Sounds fantastic.

I was also born in 1985 but I'd have to go with Back to the Future.  I have honestly seen this more times than I could count.  I think I first seen it when i was around 5 or 6, and I wore out my VHS copies of the trilogy on multiple occasions.  I would inevitably have conversations with my parents, explaining the movie's space-time continium and why there could be multiple Marty's and Doc's in the same time.

As I said, i have multiple VHS copies, got DVD and the special edition blu ray trilogy.  I have posters, models, cups, and who knows how many other collectibles from the trilogy.  I had a VHS with the entire cartoon series but it's been lost to the sands of time.  I wish more than most things that it would come out on DVD/Blu.

I had loads of games over the years for the C64, NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, and the telltale game from a year or two ago. 

I've been on the ride loads of times, I even have a totally not legit recording of the ride of DVD.

So yeah, Back to the Future.

SeanGather

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »

Whereabouts is that?  Sounds fantastic.

I was also born in 1985 but I'd have to go with Back to the Future.  I have honestly seen this more times than I could count.  I think I first seen it when i was around 5 or 6, and I wore out my VHS copies of the trilogy on multiple occasions.  I would inevitably have conversations with my parents, explaining the movie's space-time continium and why there could be multiple Marty's and Doc's in the same time.

As I said, i have multiple VHS copies, got DVD and the special edition blu ray trilogy.  I have posters, models, cups, and who knows how many other collectibles from the trilogy.  I had a VHS with the entire cartoon series but it's been lost to the sands of time.  I wish more than most things that it would come out on DVD/Blu.

I had loads of games over the years for the C64, NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, and the telltale game from a year or two ago. 

I've been on the ride loads of times, I even have a totally not legit recording of the ride of DVD.

So yeah, Back to the Future.

It's a little place in Glasgow called The Flying Duck. It's going to be excellent! And that is a really great rundown of your love for BTTF.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
I did this on my blog, but mine is The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes.  If you don't count Brakhage, I'd go with A New Leaf, which I hadn't seen yet when I wrote that blog post.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
I always thought my birth year was kind of lame. Sure, I have two, I think, from the year in my top 100, but the rest never struck a nerve that I could remember. But going through Wikipedia I saw quite a few that were pretty good. Roger Rabbit, Poltergeist 3, Coming to America, Beetlejuice, The Naked Gun, Big, and They Live, plus unwatched probably-greats like Grave of the Fireflies, two of the Decalogue movies, The Vanishing, and The Last temptation of Christ. Not bad. However, none of those are the best. The best is Die Hard, with a close second to A Fish Called Wanda. The end!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
 :D @ Wilson, now that's devotion.

Hi SeanGather! Sounds like a fantastic party idea.

I will postpone my decision until I've seen The Good, the Bad and The Ugly and A Man and a Woman. :)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
For me, 1960, it would have to be Robert Youngson's When Comedy Was King. It's the film that spawned my love for Silent Films and is one of the most fun documentaries you'll ever watch.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

SeanGather

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Hi SeanGather! Sounds like a fantastic party idea.

Hi Sandy. :)