Poll

What genres most accurately describe your taste in music? (pick 3)

Alternative
11 (15.9%)
Ambient
0 (0%)
Avant-Garde
1 (1.4%)
Blues
1 (1.4%)
Classical
6 (8.7%)
Country
0 (0%)
Electronic
5 (7.2%)
Experimental
0 (0%)
Folk
7 (10.1%)
Funk
1 (1.4%)
Garage Rock
1 (1.4%)
Glam Rock
0 (0%)
Grunge
1 (1.4%)
Hard Rock
2 (2.9%)
Hip-Hop
3 (4.3%)
Industrial
0 (0%)
Grunge
0 (0%)
Jazz
4 (5.8%)
Metal
2 (2.9%)
New Wave
1 (1.4%)
Noise Rock
0 (0%)
Pop
6 (8.7%)
Post-Rock
2 (2.9%)
Progressive Rock
3 (4.3%)
Psychedelic Rock
1 (1.4%)
Punk
0 (0%)
R&B
1 (1.4%)
Reggae
0 (0%)
Rock & Roll
6 (8.7%)
Soul
4 (5.8%)
Southern Rock
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What genres most accurately describe your taste in music?  (Read 11601 times)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
Re: What genres most accurately describe your taste in music?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 02:38:14 AM »
goddamn I'm slow -_-

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 05:38:56 AM »
I like both kinds of music Country and Western, could not resist the bad misquote.

Went with Alternative, Classical and Electronic (1SO you are not alone with that one), but, as with everyone else, my tastes range far and wide. I have spent time focused on most styles.

@heisenbergman I checked out Harvest by Opeth, I am not sure about the metal connection, but enjoyable.

@Martin I checked out Hamburger Lady by Throbbing Gristle, and it seemed more experimental than what I consider industrial, which I see as more Einsturzende Neubauten or Art of Noise. I was lucky enough to catch Einsturzende Neubauten a couple of weeks ago, great show.

Alternative - lots of different Australian pub bands, but damn this one is hard to define, lots of what I would call alternative falls under other categories as well. Ok bands like The Cruel Sea (Better a Lawyer) or TISM ((He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River, fairly typical of their lyrics, they general took the piss out everyone, particularly themselves[/url]).

Classical - I particular like baroque Charpentier's Te Deum in D, or Pachelbel's Canon in D

Electronic - I tend much more to Trance in the electronic area, a nice pounding beat, or some mellow. Carte Blanche by Veracocha on the lighter side, or The Darkness by Dj Wag on the harder side or a good remix Painted Black remix by Alex Fakey

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
@Martin I checked out Hamburger Lady by Throbbing Gristle, and it seemed more experimental than what I consider industrial, which I see as more Einsturzende Neubauten or Art of Noise. I was lucky enough to catch Einsturzende Neubauten a couple of weeks ago, great show.

Well, Throbbing Gristle coined the term "industrial music", so..... maybe try Very Friendly or Discipline.

Neubauten is certainly industrial.  I would have never in a million years thought of calling AoN industrial.  Maybe a little bit in their sampling choices, but they're so silly (in a grand way, I'm a huge fan) and playful, the term doesn't seem at all appropriate.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
@heisenbergman I checked out Harvest by Opeth, I am not sure about the metal connection, but enjoyable.
Oh you listened to one of their few tracks that's purely acoustic :) They tend to do the heavy-soft-heavy dynamic by mixing up prog rock with death metal. You just chanced upon one of their ballads, although a really good one. Here's a better example of their sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1NuL-8Dhc

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:09 AM »
Thanks, I had hoped that you both would be able to correct my knowledge, which you have.

Very Friendly is a raw track, but the industrial aspect is much more noticeable. Discipline while a little raw has much more polish to its sound.
Calling AoN industrial is a leftover from the 80's when my musical knowledge was minimal, and I heard that they were an industrial band and I remember seeing a clip of them with industrial instruments. It has just lingered waiting to catch me out. They are a fun band, Peter Gunn is a classic cover.

Bleak - has a strong metal edge, a little bit of death metal even. A very different track to Harvest.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 02:34:24 AM »
Still on the Industrial topic: Are you industrial fans familiar with Coil? And what do you think of Horse Rotorvator?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
Calling AoN industrial is a leftover from the 80's when my musical knowledge was minimal, and I heard that they were an industrial band and I remember seeing a clip of them with industrial instruments. It has just lingered waiting to catch me out. They are a fun band, Peter Gunn is a classic cover.

Is this the clip you saw?  My fave AoN song and maybe my favorite music video ever.

Still on the Industrial topic: Are you industrial fans familiar with Coil? And what do you think of Horse Rotorvator?

Oh yeah, Coil is an offshoot of Throbbing Gristle (as are Psychic TV and Chris & Cosey).  I haven't listened to Horse Rotorvator in many years, or any Coil now that I think about it.  Boy, I should get back into them.  I really liked Love's Secret Domain, as I recall.  And their "Tainted Love" cover.  Making a note to myself to break out some Coil in the near future
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:14:18 AM by MartinTeller »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
 Yes that is the clip. Definitely not industrial, but I see where I got confused. Thanks for that it was good to see and hear that one again.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
3 choices is not enough.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »
Plus it is difficult to understand what belongs in what category.  What is Pink Floyd or Neil Young? 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:28:14 PM by jdc »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman