Author Topic: Films that need a remake.  (Read 2117 times)

Totoro

Re: Films that need a remake.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Meryl Streep.
Daniel Day-Lewis
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Directed by Asghar Farhadi

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »
That sounds awful.  Why mess with perfection?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Don't think there are enough windows in WAoVW for Farhadi. Or enough literal Virginia Woolfs. I suppose he could just have a bunch of Virginia Woolf texts and perhaps pictures of her around their house though, that way we would really get the relevance of the title.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »
I'm with you on the pairing of Streep and Day-Lewis, but having them do Virginia Woolf is as unnecessary as having them do The Lion in Winter or Scenes From a Marriage. I'd rather see them in a remake of Swept Away or take something like The Break-Up and tailor it to their age and dramatic skills.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
Im sure my interest in just about anything could be raised if the right people were involved. There are no sacred cows. If PT Anderson felt like he could remake Citizen Kane with Phillip Seymour Hoffman Id probably watch it and love it.

At the same time, I dont feel like I've ever watched a movie and thought it needed to be modernized. It doesnt bother me when something is remade, it just never occurs to me.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
At the same time, I dont feel like I've ever watched a movie and thought it needed to be modernized. It doesnt bother me when something is remade, it just never occurs to me.

Part of the fun, part of the charm of watching old movies for me is being able to immerse myself in a historical time period. And perhaps unlike the people whom some in Hollywood think comprise their audience, I don't mind black-and-white, noisy audio, or subtitles. So my default reaction to any remake is to assume it's gratuitous or mercenary. That said, I could probably list dozens that I liked and thought offered something worthwhile.

But yeah, I almost never think: Gosh, I wish this were in color and starred Tom Cruise!
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
At the same time, I dont feel like I've ever watched a movie and thought it needed to be modernized.

I was going to say Star Wars, but then I remembered that Lucas modernizes it every 10 years or so to cash in again.  ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love