Author Topic: Sundance Channel: Top of the Lake  (Read 7278 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Sundance Channel: Top of the Lake
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »
I can't wait!  It's not readily available for me, but I'll be catching up the best I can from Australia. 

From the Sundance page for the movie, this series is available on iTunes, where I found a listing, and also Amazon, where I did not find a listing and also available as VOD.

Sepinwall gave it high merit points for story, performances, direction, cinematography, and setting.  He foresees it as in his Top 10 of the year.

As to Moss's NZ accent, if she says "fush and chups," she's got it!

Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Sundance Channel: Top of the Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
I can't wait! 
!! Me, too! Gonna watch it as soon as I get home from class tonight. :)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
Criterion's An Angel at My Table is available on Hulu Plus, but no where else on line that I can find.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:34:28 AM »
Does anyone know the schedule for this series?  I've seen ep 1 and 2.  When are the others airing?
Texan Down Under

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
Does anyone know the schedule for this series?  I've seen ep 1 and 2.  When are the others airing?

New epis premiere on Mondays.  Epi 3 on Feb 25, epi 4 on Apr 1, epi 5 on Apr 8.  An exception is the final week in which both epis 6 and 7 premiere on Mon Apr 15.  Replays are Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.  Marathons are on Sundays.

Spoiler-y (for the people that use the "View the most recent posts" feature) -- The first one was really good.  Jacqueline Joe is great as Tui.  Just her reaction shots when she was sitting with the women were impressive to me.  Took a bit to get used to Peter Mullan's hair, lol.  Such a great actor.  Campion is back with some New Age stuff.  Interesting to see how the Holly Hunter stuff ties in with everything else.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:21:42 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »
Really enjoyed the first two eps, too, Ver. I don't know quite what to make of the Holly Hunter/GJ character yet - I'm not totally on board with that storyline, but I'm curious and reserving judgment; I trust Campion will be saying something interesting there when we get the whole picture.

The Slate Gabfest crew seemed to think the roles, esp for Hunter/GJ and Mullan/Mitcham are too cartoony, and Mitcham too much just plain evil/horrible. I don't think Campion will leave it there though - I'm guessing it'll all be as messy and complex and human as is her usual MO.

Agree Joe/Tui is great and I love Moss in the central role, too.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
I haven't heard the Slate gabfest.

Those characters (the ones who seems cartoonish) are the types who come to beauty spots of the world to live freely.  Their progeny carry on there, and generations of odd folk populate those areas and make a living in any way that works.   (Santa Fe is a US example, plus several more.) So, I'm hanging in to see how those characters develop.  Like oad, I trust Campion.

I enjoyed the first two eps. Thanks Verite for the ep update.

The only part I laughed at for ridiculousness was the fly-over of the pine forest, looking for a child.  HaHa, that's never going to work.  The crew looking in the riverbed?  That could have been flown over with a helicopter.  Silly writing, but it did show off the gorgeous scenery of the South Lakes.

I hope more of Queenstown is shown in future eps. It's such a lovely little town.
Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
I haven't heard the Slate gabfest.

Those characters (the ones who seems cartoonish) are the types who come to beauty spots of the world to live freely.  Their progeny carry on there, and generations of odd folk populate those areas and make a living in any way that works.   (Santa Fe is a US example, plus several more.)
I should give June Thomas some credit - she made this same point, saltine! And I agree that these characters aren't necessarily cartoonish - I've met some of these kinds of people in the backwoods areas around here, especially on the San Juan islands or near the mountain, remote, beautiful sorts of places.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
I didn't read JT but it's an obvious point to make.  Maybe not obvious to East Coasters, like the Slate Gabfesters.  :)
(again, I haven't heard the Culture Gabfest yet)
Texan Down Under

love