Author Topic: Paul Dano: Worst Actor in History ?  (Read 5047 times)

Paul Dano: Worst Actor in History ?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
I rewatched LOOPER the other day and it stuck me how much I loathe Paul Dano as an actor. I think back to every role I've seen him in and every time he appears on screen I cringe. Even in the epic There Will be Blood he was unwatchable from start to finish. This guy cannot act his way out of a paper bag. Why do good directors keep casting this guy ?

Chris Bowen

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Paul Dano: Worst Actor in History ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
I made the joke - I hope it's a joke - that Paul Dano idolizes Hayden Christiansen's work in Star Wars. His performances are mostly based on the same type of self-piting whininess. This comes out in varying degrees based on the material and director. I thought he showed more subtlety in Little Miss Sunshine, up until his big moment. PTA created the most quintessential Dano moment when he whines "Don't bully me, Daniel!" In Looper, this one-note is exactly what the character needs. The problem is we've seen it too much already and it has lost its effectiveness. Dano seems like a fake by this point.

I haven't seen Ruby Sparks but I heard it's quite different from this rut he's dug for himself.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
Oh come on. He was easily the best thing in Knight and Day.

Hahahahaha, burn!

No, but seriously, he was.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Totoro

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:18:05 AM »
He wasn't terrible in There Will Be Blood.

Character =/= Performance

You already have Lewis hamming it up in it. I think PTAvrealized that you can't have two OTT performances and direct the actors to ham because there is no contrast. He corrects this with The Master by having two different actors  who are from two different schools of acting in the lead.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:40 AM »
I don't mind Paul Dano, but to call him the worst... I mean, Pauly Shore was once in movies (and that's not even mentioning Prince or Vanilla Ice).
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
I haven't followed him closely, but I watched him recently in Ruby Sparks and didn't have anything against his performance there. There must be far worse actors out there.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
He's not terrible, though his performance in Looper turned me from a defender to a detractor, he's laughably bad there. The problem with him tends to be that he does something or another (or doesn't do anything) with his eyes, so it's so easy to just see him trying so hard to act.

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
I made the joke - I hope it's a joke - that Paul Dano idolizes Hayden Christiansen's work in Star Wars. His performances are mostly based on the same type of self-piting whininess.

But Hayden Christiansen is really good in Episode 3. I don't know if I'd ever call Dano "good." But I also don't find him unwatchable.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
I made the joke - I hope it's a joke - that Paul Dano idolizes Hayden Christiansen's work in Star Wars. His performances are mostly based on the same type of self-piting whininess.

But Hayden Christiansen is really good in Episode 3. I don't know if I'd ever call Dano "good." But I also don't find him unwatchable.

I thought he was great in Shattered Glass but the role just somehow fits the quirk of the actor.  I don't have much of an impression of Dano other then TWBB but I thought his performance of the character well.  I know he got a lot of crap for his performance but it just fit will to me.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:18:22 AM »
I would call Dano good in Ruby Sparks. In other places I would call him adequate to the task.  It certainly gives me hope that he's not terrible.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love