love

Author Topic: April 2013 MDC: Enchanted April  (Read 14198 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: April 2013 MDC: Enchanted April
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
Dictations are up!  If there are any repeats from last month, let me know, and I will mix it up.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
I watched My Best Friend's Wedding last night. I was in the mood for a romantic comedy, but that's not really what the film is. The movie takes a traditional romantic comedy setup — trying to keep a past love from marrying someone else — and unmasks that act as selfish and detestable. Whereas Cary Grant stays pretty damn charming throughout the entirety of The Philadelphia Story, Julia Roberts is largely unlikeable throughout the entirety of My Best Friend's Wedding, save for perhaps three well-executed pratfalls. It's a brave approach to this kind of story, but it didn't really work for me at all (perhaps just because it wasn't what I went in wanting). When Rupert Everett takes over the film for about ten minutes in the middle, relegating Julia to a supporting role, the movie gets pretty fantastic. I can only imagine the editor putting together that footage and shaking his head at the screenwriter for sending Rupert's character away after that. Clearly somebody should remake this film and make the gay-friend-pretending-to-be-the-girl's-boyfriend a central part of the story. Grade: C+

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
Clovis will be watching: After the Wedding and/or In a Better World. A wonderful Susanne Bier double feature, but no worries if you can't get to both, at least you will get to (potentially) enjoy one!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
I've thrown a bit if a curve ball in assigning Chasing Amy to Corndog. It's the only great Kevin Smith film and among the best, and most honest, explorations of modern relationships. It's also very romantic, in an honest not movie way.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Dictations are up!  If there are any repeats from last month, let me know, and I will mix it up.
Column 1 are the dictators or the dictatees?

Based on the last two replies, it seems like Corndog and Clovis are attempting to assign films to the other :P

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
I am supposed to dictate to Clovis and Clovis to you. Misunderstanding, though I am still going to watch his dictation. But he should be dictating one to you as well.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
I guess I'm watching Chasing Amy then :) And I'm going to dictate to PeacefulAnarchy.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Column 1 are the dictators or the dictatees?

Based on the last two replies, it seems like Corndog and Clovis are attempting to assign films to the other :P

Oops! I've only done this dozens of times. I'm a slow learner. :)

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
Films that are romantic, directed by women or featuring women as the central characters.

Wait... I might have misunderstood... is the "romantic" part a requirement? Because I've chosen a film for PA that just has a woman as a central character, but is not romantic.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
Films that are romantic, directed by women or featuring women as the central characters.

Wait... I might have misunderstood... is the "romantic" part a requirement? Because I've chosen a film for PA that just has a woman as a central character, but is not romantic.
No, I think you're fine, as I understand it hitting one of the three is all you need.

love