1 (1.5%)
Portlandia
3 (4.5%)
Sons of Anarchy
1 (1.5%)
The Walking Dead
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Which series should I prioritize watching?  (Read 14027 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Which series should I prioritize watching?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »
And I'm sorry to keep yammering on about it, but Enlightened, too. Also, a relatively short commitment, only two seasons consisting of 18 total episodes. Two perfect seasons. It's the show I most want everyone here to watch.

I guess I have to give this a try some day. The thing is, I haven't had yet any luck with any of HBO's half-hour shows, so I'm pretty reluctant.
We seem to have fairly similar tastes :) - please do give Enlightened a go. It's incredibly unique.

Originally, I'd seen the ads on HBO and was uninterested, but then I saw worm posted something about it being better than Girls and I listened to a couple of Mike White interviews (Maron, The Treatment, Fresh Air) and thought I'd better try it. The first ep and even second ep didn't totally grab me, but it just kept building and got better and better, on into the second season. I ended up gorging down the entire two seasons in a week or so and then was heartbroken when the news came that it wasn't going to be renewed.

Just try it. I really think you won't regret it. (And I need another proselytizer! :) )

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »
OK, I will. But just for the record, "better than Girls" is a terrible endorsement.  :P

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 01:52:37 AM »
Ha, I hear you. I honestly still don't know how I feel about Girls. I watch it and think it had genius elements but am mixed usually. Anyway. It's nothing like Girls. :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
Dr Who and The Game of Thrones

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »
Can I cast a negative vote for BB? At this point just wait for it to finish and it's all on Instant Watch because it's a show that relies on a constant, sustained energy that makes week to week viewing terrible. Even more so than episode to episode viewing, which is kind of crazy. Mad Men I only watched one episode a day until I caught up, it's a show that rewards space and time to process, even when there are dramatic cliffhangers (in this way it's similar to Homeland, which relies on the sustained energy that BB has, but also works fine with space because at its core the characters still take top priority kind of like in MM).

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
Is there really an [adultswim] aesthetic anymore considering how much they are defined by live-action now/how much live-action has come to create its current aesthetic in contrast to its past? Is Archer better than Venture Bros.?

I think they are closer than it originally seems. I love Archer and it might be the most purely funny show on TV now, but VB remains super funny most of the time and continues to expand its fiction in a way that leaves Archer feeling like it's just spinning its wheels at certain points.

Well, I haven't watched Adult Swim in many years, so I guess I'm referring to its early days, Space Ghost, Sea Lab, Robot Chicken. I recall Venture Bros. from its beginning and while it was OK, it was never anything so complete as Archer is. Perhaps that's changed with time.

Children's Hospital, though, could air pretty much anywhere.

Also, while I like Breaking Bad, I'm not the biggest fan (prefer Justified actually). But I do think 1SO would really like it. It has pretty much everything he looks for in a film, I think.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:18:17 AM by sdedalus »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
I didn't realize how much TV I've been missing since I got rid of my cable.
Breaking Bad has been my Top Pick even before this poll. Taking in all this info, I see I need to raise my priority on Mad Men.

I watched the 1st episode of "Girls" and I've seen Tiny Furniture. Didn't grab me as something I want to get into week to week but perhaps as it goes deeper into television history.

oad, I do hope people listen to you and check out "Enlightened". Right now I'm needing to catch up with some of the more canon series. good guy, Parade's End looks interesting. And by looks I'm referring to the trifecta of Cumberbatch, Rebecca Hall and Adelaide Clemens. I'd watch those 3 in a remake of Master of Disguise.

Weighing all the data so far (including my personal "want to see" factor.) My list is shaping up as...

1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Game of Thrones
4. Doctor Who
5. Justified
6. Portlandia
7. 30 Rock
8. Parks and Recreation
9. Hannibal
10. Children's Hospital
11. The Walking Dead
12. Boardwalk Empire
13. Archer

When I watched adultswim, my favorite was Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law followed by The Venture Bros. Robot Chicken was a distant third.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:06:50 PM by 1SO »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
There's a lot of Harvey Birdman in Archer. There's a little Harvey Birdman in all of us.

(It's a spy story treated as a workplace sitcom, where HB was a superhero story treated as a courtroom drama).
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
VB grew over time, watching some of the first season on Netflix is like night and day compared to where it was the last time it was on the air. [as] can be divided in to pre- and post- Tim and Eric, I reckon. Not sure which is better, but both are great.

Gravity Falls, 1SO!

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
And I'm sorry to keep yammering on about it, but Enlightened, too.
I watched the first 3 episodes and liked parts of it. I'll pick it up again when I find some time.

1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Game of Thrones
Had we been given a 3rd vote, that's the set I would have recommended to you.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.