Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched  (Read 45636 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2690 on: September 21, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
Deadpool 2

It is somewhat clever, mildly amusing and sometimes tiresome just due to all the references. I believe DH is big on this film and down on the 80's, so I am curious did you get the reference in the scene where Deadpool and his wife reunite?

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2691 on: September 22, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
RBG (2018)

This seemed like the perfect week to catch up with this. Here's the story of someone who worked to overcome barriers to entry in her field and then distinguished herself in her field to truly merit a spot on the top court. Contrast that with the person currently vying for the same honor, a person who has been gifted every advantage in life, sailed by as a complete mediocrity content to do nothing more than rubber-stamp right-wing ideology. The contrast was shocking even before it was revealed he (allegedly) sexually assaulted someone in high school.

As a film, there's nothing formally challenging here really. Just a solid biography providing a background and foundation for our current "Notorious R.B.G." moment, which is enough.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2692 on: September 22, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

Pleasant enough but with a fantastic lead performance from Lana Condor. She holds the entire thing together. What kept me from really loving the film was a lack of any truly memorable cinematic scenes. The film takes no big swings dramatically or comedically. Enjoyed it and look forward to more from Condor - she's in Deadly Class, which is pretty exciting. Hope they make the most of her talents.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

MattDrufke

« Reply #2693 on: Yesterday at 04:14:16 PM »
A Simple Favor (2018)
Dir: Paul Feig

Man, this film has a massive problem with tone. The first act is a lot of fun, setting up an interesting thriller with some wonderful casting. Anna Kendrick is great here (though maybe a bit much) and Blake Lively is just impossible to look away from. Her character is so much fun to watch that you just are so anxious to see where this movie is going.

And then it all comes off the rails. The movie tries to insert some cheap laughs (and quick one-liners) into it, and the balance Feig is clearly going for never really pays off. The jokes don't land because it was such a solid thriller, and then when it tries to return to the thriller, you've kind of been knocked around by the jokes. Would've loved to see this without Feig's need to make the audience laugh.

C+
@ihatemattdrufke

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2694 on: Yesterday at 09:42:59 PM »
A Million Ways To Die In The West - Seth Macfarlane and Charliza Theron have good chemistry and they deliver the jokes well. I'd seen this once before but it's still good for a lot of laughs. Some of the gags are just perfectly in poor taste. - 8/10

The Fighter - Such a frustrating group of characters. One decent guy surrounded by a bunch of trash bringing him down... but it's a true story so... Oscar. The boxing scenes were lousy. - 4/10